Pinterest

Saturday, December 1, 2012

The Advent Calendar and Graham's Ice Candles

My mom sent the kids some really fun advent calendars - you know the kind where you open the window each day and find a special chocolate treat inside?  The kids were so excited this morning to open a window for a piece of chocolate.

ADVENT CALENDAR

I also decided to try something new to get the kids excited for Christmas.  I found enough Christmas books (24 in total) and wrapped them all so each day up until Christmas the kids will be able to open up a present.   I only managed to find 10 of my own Christmas books but I went to thrift shops and found the rest for a quarter a piece. The kids seem pretty excited about it and it's a fun way to enjoy a Christmas story together.

Books for Advent under the tree - wrapped up 24 books to be opened every day between now and Christmas
GRAHAM'S ICE CANDLES

Every year since I can remember 13 year-old Graham has made ice candles for the family. 

INGREDIENTS:

Balloons
Water
Weather below 32 degrees
Optional:  Bowl to set them in and food coloring

DIRECTIONS:

Add water to balloons, set outside to freeze, once frozen tear off balloons and add a candle to the center.  You can also add food coloring inside the balloons or let them rest in a bowl overnight for a more uniform shape, but typically we let them form as they were intended for some really unique candles.


Graham's Ice Candles - fill up balloons with water, freeze and you have ice candles


Do you have an advent calendar?  I'm guessing there's a lot of amazing ideas out there and I should check out Pinterest but sometimes I find Pinterest a little paralyzing.

Once a year the movie theatre shows free Christmas movies for kids, so we're headed to that and then to the amazing light show in Duluth called Bentleyville.  Should be a fun day.  What are you up to?

Are you ready for Christmas?

Thanks for reading,

Kristin

1 comment:

  1. That's such a neat idea to have a book a day for the kids to open. I'd love to do that if we have children!

    ReplyDelete