Pinterest

Sunday, December 9, 2012

Crazy for Curry

In the past few weeks I've tried two new curry recipes that I absolutely LOVE.   Not everyone likes curry, but if you do I have some recipes for you!

Curry has many health benefits including aiding in digestion, boosting immunity, and burning fat but here's a complete list of the benefits of eating curry:  benefits of eating curry.

RECIPE #1

This recipe is so fantastic - I'm actually making my second batch right now.   My mother-in-law bought me some organic lentils from Weaver's (located by Amish country) and I can't believe I've never cooked with them until now - DELICIOUS and healthy.

CURRY LENTIL SOUP

1 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium carrot, chopped
4 large garlic cloves, chopped
2 tablespoons (or more) curry powder
1 cup lentils
2 1/4 cups (or more) water
2 cups broth
1 15- to 16-ounce can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained, rinsed
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
 
Directions:
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add onion and carrot; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook until onion is translucent, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes. Add half of chopped garlic; stir until vegetables are soft but not brown, about 4 minutes longer. Add 2 tablespoons curry powder and red pepper if desired; stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add lentils and 2 cups water and 2 cups of broth, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Increase heat and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium; simmer until lentils are tender, about 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, puree chickpeas, lemon juice, 1/4 cup water, remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, and remaining garlic in processor.
Add chickpea puree and butter to lentil soup. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and additional curry powder, if desired.

Curry Lentil Soup - Seriously Delicious
Not the best picture - but so, so good
This cast iron pot (thanks Aunt Paula) is the best for making soup.


RECIPE #2

My friend Carolyn Krampe brought this to a potluck after a 1/2 marathon run on my birthday, and I sincerely thought it was the best thing I had ever tasted so I was pretty happy when she shared this delicious recipe.

COCONUT QUINOA CURRY (say that 10 times)
-my friend Carolyn Krampe
Seriously delicious.

Ingredients:


2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium leek
1 small zucchini, winter squash or carrots (I used a Butternut Squash)
2 celery stalks
1 yellow pepper
2 teaspoons curry (I used more probably 3 or 4 teaspoons as I really like the flavor)
2 teaspoons cumin (use a little more if you like)
1/3 cup uncooked quinoa
2 cups water
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 cinnamon stick
1 cup cooked kidney beans
1 cup coconut milk
Fresh parsley or cilantro (I used cilantro)

DIRECTIONS:

Cut vegetables into medium pieces. Heat a heavy bottom soup or casserole pot. Add the olive oil and leek and saute. When the leek is shiny, begin mixing in the remaining vegetables. Mix ground spices into the vegetables. Mix the quinoa wit the vegetables, and then add water, salt, cinnamon, beans, and coconut milk. Cover and simmer until quina drinks up the liquid, and vegetables are soft. Remove the cinnamon stick, garnish with chopped cilantro or parsley. Serves 4




Coconut Quinoa Curry - in my Grandma's Bowl


If you love curry, I hope you'll give these recipes a try.   I'm super excited for my next couple of blogs:  raw apple cider vinegar, tips for feeding the birds, my new favorite websites and do-it-yourself shampoo.

What a great weekend in Northern Wisconsin!  My work Christmas party was SO MUCH FUN (Foxy's in Spooner), we trimmed the Christmas tree and SNOW IS FALLING which makes me extremely happy.  What did you do this weekend?  What's your favorite curry recipe?

Thanks for reading,

Kristin

2 comments:

  1. This is so funny. We must both have had curry on the mind. I made Curry Cous Cous last night. I'll send you the recipe when I get a chance. This is a similar recipe except that I use blanched almonds instead of walnuts and I use white wine vinegar, yogurt & olive oil instead of the orange juice.

    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/dave-lieberman/curried-couscous-salad-with-dried-sweet-cranberries-recipe/index.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that looks so great! Thanks - can't wait to try it :)

    ReplyDelete