Pinterest

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Kombucha and Apple Cider Vinegar

I've had an expensive 3 year-long daily addiction to GT's kombucha and so I was extremely happy to discover a product with the same affect - apple cider vinegar.   Below you will discover a little about both of these ancient healthy elixirs.


KOMBUCHA

In case you are unfamiliar with my all time favorite beverage let me fill you in.  Kombucha is a fermented tea that leaves you feeling energetic, slightly buzzed, light and clean all at the same time.  Kombucha has 1 billion live cultures so it's an excellent probiotic.   I order it by the case at various health food stores because it's cheaper and by ordering in bulk I'm sure not to run out.  Just like some people reach for a beer when they need to relax, I reach for a kombucha and I rarely go anywhere without an emergency bottle.    If I were sent to a desert island for a year and could only bring one thing, I would bring Green Algae Chia Kombucha and I'm pretty sure I would survive.

Benefits of Kombucha
 
-Detoxifer
-1 billion probiotics
-Prevents cancer
-Improves digestion
-Prevents arthritis, fibromylagia, depression and anxiety
-Boosts immune system and energy levels
-Boosts energy
 
Here's an article outlying all the benefits of my favorite drink:  health benefits of Kombucha
 
 

GT's Kombucha - super health elixir



APPLE CIDER VINEGAR

For about 3 weeks I've been making an apple cider vinegar (ACV) concoction consisting of water, 1 teaspoon of raw unpasteurized organic ACV) and 1 packet of stevia.  Now, if you over-do this you will get a stomach ache so I'd stick to 1 teaspoon at a time.  It's weird but it makes you feel like you just ate a huge meal - you are just not hungry.  Also, I've noticed it has the same detoxifying affect as the kombucha but with an added bonus - my skin just cleared right up.  I've had these hard white bumps on my face since I was 13 and after about 5 days my skin was the clearest it's ever been - and trust me I've tried everything from chemical peels to retin-A.  At first I hated how it tasted (actually, I hated kombucha at first too), but now I actually crave it.  And the other huge advantage is that the cost is minimal - a bottle of Bragg's (which is what I recommend) is less than $4.00 and will last me two months.  A bottle of kombucha is around $4.00 and lasts me about 5 minutes.

Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar
-Boosts energy
-Aides in healthy digestion
-Prevents arthritis
-Helps hiccups and a stuff nose
-Prevents cancer
-Helps lower blood sugar
-Prevents diabetes
-lowers cholesterol
-Clears up the skin
**Actually, I have a 200 page book listing all the benefits of ACV but I'm only on page 75.

Wow, that's some powerful stuff!!  Just a few tips:  start with a teaspoon to 8 ounces of water and add enough stevia so you can stand the taste.  Eventually, you'll be able to use less and less stevia.  One morning I drank about a tablespoon because I was feeling so good and I ended up with a stomach ache so take it easy.


Bragg's Raw Apple Cider Vinegar


Now you probably think I'm weird, but I swear by these healthy drinks and I challenge you to at least try a kombucha.  If you can't take the vinegar taste, add some stevia - you will be amazed at how great you feel immediately following into the next day.  What's your secret healthy elixir drink?    What drink would you bring on a desert island?

Thanks for reading,

Kristin





4 comments:

  1. We love apple cider vinegar! We generally split a can of LaCroix between us and add that to our vinegar (Dave does 1-2t., I do 1/4c.). Add a little water and it's so delicious (Dave adds some stevia, too).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, 3 teaspoons is my max. I'm absolutely shocked that you are able to drink 1/4 cup per day! If I go over 1 teaspoon at a time my stomach hurts and sometimes my throat. But, wow - I LOVE IT!!

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, I think I have to try it now. I have tried kombucha but didn't like it. I can see how it is an acquired taste. I know you can buy kombucha culture starters and ferment your own kombucha. Maybe you could try that too?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Roberta, I tried my own ONCE but it didn't work. I need to try it again - maybe in January. You will be amazed at how great you feel!

    ReplyDelete