Pinterest

Friday, May 4, 2012

Cinco De Mayo

Who doesn't love Mexican food?  Here's a few of my favorites:

First up, fruit salsa! 

FRUIT SALSA
1 mango, peeled and diced
3 kiwi, peeled and diced
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
1/2 diced red onion
1/4 cup cilantro, packed, chopped
Juice of 1 large lime or one small lemon
1/2 teaspoon salt

Combine all ingredients and let sit for one hour.   This time around I forgot to peel the mango, but I would highly recommend peeling the skin.  This is super yummy though!!! 



Fruit Salsa


TORTILLA SOUP

Ingredients
  • 3/4 cup chopped onion
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 tablespoon tomato paste
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
  • 4 cups canned vegetable broth
  • 4 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

  • 1 cup tortilla strip
  • 12 ounes cups chopped tomatoes
  • 2/3 cup canned black beans, rinsed, drained
  • 2/3 cup chopped zucchini
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons minced seeded jalapeño chili
Add garlic and onion to a hot oiled pan and saute for 5 minutes.  Add tomato paste, cumin, chili powder, broth and cilantro and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat for 15 minutes and then add the remaining ingredients and cook for another 5 minutes until warm.  This was a geat way for me to use up the rest of te zucchini in my freeer.  Of course you can also add shredded chicken to this recipe.



Tortilla Soup

This is an EASY family favorite that my cousin Erinn turned me onto a few years ago.

Huevos Rancheros

INGREDIENTS:

4 corn tortillas
1 can refried beans (nuke for 30 seconds to warm)
1 cup salsa
4 fried or poached eggs
1 cup of cheese

Cover each tortilla with beans, then salsa, egg and cheese.  Bake at 350 until the cheese is melted.   I used a whole wheat, high fiber low carb tortilla so I was able to make this delicious meal at 350 calories and with about 20 grams of protein!  Super delish!!!


Huevos Rancheros - check out my Grandma's vase with my Dahlia's!




And, I will end with a sinful NOT SO HEALTHY but oh so absolutely delicious Mexican dessert:  Chocoflan      The recipe is slightly complicated with a lot of ingredients, but I actually had everything on hand and I always love the idea of trying a new Mexican recipe.


Chocoflan - on my Grandma's platter


This tastes like a cross between custard pie and chocolate cake - I've never had anything quite like it.  It's very filling but very good - and even the pickiest eater in the house gave me a double thumbs up.

What's your favorite Mexican recipe?

Adios!

3 comments:

  1. Who exactly would be the "picky" eater in your house? ;) Glad you love the juevos. We had a modified version this week too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chad is not picky but he provides a lot of feedback ......so maybe picky is not the word.

    ReplyDelete