Pinterest

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Memorial Day One

Happy Memorial Day!  Below you will find some of our favorite recipes using seasonably available ingredients.  Oh, I've waited so long to say that - I love this time of year!

First up, I made rhubarb cake - everyone LOVED it...especially our dog who ate the majority of them when we weren't looking.

I used this rhubarb cake recipe:  Rhubarb Cake in Ice Cream Cups
BTW, this cake recipe is super good and would be fabulous not in the cups. 
After I mixed the cake, I filled each ice cream cup 3/4 full and baked at 350 for 30 minutes.  I let the kids decorate them with frosting and sprinkles.  Aren't they cute?


Rhubarb Cake in Cups - on my Grandma's Platter


Next up, I made Leek Soup.  Friday, I became quite intrigued when I found some leeks growing....they are so pretty and all along I thought they were chives.  Anyway, here's a great leek soup recipe:  Potato Leek Soup  I loved it, the kids did not (surprise), but I'll be able to eat it for lunch all week.

Potato and Leek Soup



Up next:   COLD PRESSED ICED COFFEE.  I have a slight obsession with good coffee.  Friday I had the best iced coffee at Backroads in Hayward, so I decided to make it myself.  I believe in buying good coffee from a local roaster - in my case that's Backroads Coffee and Tea which I have visited almost daily for the last 15 years.  Yup, not exaggerating here either.   



Cold Pressed Iced Coffee


DIRECTIONS

Add grounds to a glass pitcher or a large french press.  Boil water and add to the grounds.  If using a french press, do not plunge the grounds to the bottom.  Let sit in the fridge for 2 to 3 days.   After a few days, either strain out the coffee grounds with a fine mesh strainer or cheese cloth, or press down the plunger on the press.  Store in the fridge and serve with ice.  I like to freeze coffee in an ice cube tray so the coffee does not become diluted.  Add milk, cream or 1 tablespoon of sweetened condensed milk for a true treat.  I like to add stevia to my iced coffee. 

BTW, I planted a stevia plant this year and I'm VERY excited to see if I can dry it and make my own sweetener.  Today I ate a leaf and it tasted very sweet and good - just like the stevia I buy at the store. 


Stevia Plant



Last but not least, we fired up the grill and made some delicious kabobs.  I cut up veggies and steak and marinated overnight in worchestire sauce.  Everyone LOVED them.



Greta Assembles Shish Kabobs


What did you do cook over Memorial Day?

Thanks for reading,

Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment