Pinterest

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Money Saving, Earth Saving, Summer Loving Tips

I'm so excited because with very little effort, I saved $20 on my last Xcel energy bill.  You may think, what's $20 bucks?  But, in my world $20 will buy me a manicure, a round of mini-golf with the kids, or a pile of local organic asparagus.    How did I do it?  I started unplugging my electronics and started hanging clothes on the line.  SIMPLE

UNPLUG APPLIANCES:

I've started unplugging as many electronic items as possible.  I used to leave our computers on 24/7, but a plugged in computer draws a ton of electricity so now they are all unplugged not to mention our microwaves, toaster, coffee pot, etc.  If you visit and need to use an electronic device, expect to have to plug it in.

HANG CLOTHES ON THE LINE:


Weather permitting, every time I do laundry I hang out about a 1/2 a load of clothes.  Since I wash about 15 loads of laundry a week, it's not possible to hang it all up, but a little bit helps.  Not to mention the fact that our clothes smell so fresh!    Since I'm pretty lazy, I will admit this took some discipline but I finally have it down.

Two years ago on Mother's Day, Chad and the kids hung up my Grandma Evelyn's old clothesline (my favorite mother's day present ever).  I have her old clothespins and clothespin bag too, so of course I feel a bit closer to her when I hang out the clothes.


Gus hanging up clothes on the line - he's in a SUPER mood today

Gus hanging his baseball uniform on the line - some day I will share the story of Gus. 

 

VISIT YOUR LOCAL THRIFT STORES

My number one reason for shopping at thrift stores is because I love the idea of recycling.  If a household item breaks in our house or we need something, I always check the thrift stores first.  This month alone my coffee press broke, my coffee grinder broke, and Chad needed a thermometer for his deep fat fryer (for fish) and I lucked out every time.   Sometimes I strike out, but usually I'll find something unique and the stop was worth my time.

Here Gus poses with my recycled coffee grinder and press



I'm still obsessive about my cloth bags because as Gandhi said, "be the change you want to see in the world".

What is your money-saving, earth-loving summer tip?  You must have one?

It's starting to rain so I'm need to run and get the clothes off the line (lol).  Thanks for reading,

Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment