Pinterest

Friday, May 11, 2012

Rhubarb - In Season

Before my grandparents house sold, my Uncle Rick dug up a rhubarb plant from their property and I was able to replant it successfully in Seeley.    This rhubarb plant means so much to me and I was very excited to be able to harvest the vegetable and eat it this week!


Rhubarb Plant



My goal this week was to make some rhubarb recipes with limited sugar.  Most rhubarb recipes are fantastic because most are loaded with sugar and butter - how could they not be good?  So, I've done some experimenting this week.

First up, rhubarb salad dressing.  I found this recipe from Mother Earth News.  The dressing was fantastic!

Rhubarb Salad Dressing

Ingredients:
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup water
2 cups thinly sliced rhubarb
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
Zest of one lemon
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Instructions:
Heat water and honey over medium heat. When the mixture begins to boil, add rhubarb and boil five minutes more, stirring often. Stir in vinegar and lemon zest, and cook five to 10 more minutes, until dressing is reduced by about half. Remove from heat, and let cool slightly. Whisk the olive oil into the dressing. Season with salt and pepper. Serve warm or cold over fresh salad greens. 


Rhubarb Salad Dressing

STRAWBERRY AND CREAM CHEESE RHUBARB-SALAD

3 1/2 cups chopped rhubarb
1 cup white sugar (I used Xylitol - sweetener from tree bark)
1 large package strawberry jello
2 1/2 cups sliced strawberries
1 small package cream cheese
Cool whip or Dream whip
Combine rhubarb and sugar and simmer on low heat until tender. Prepare gelatin as per instructions, and add in rhubarb mix and strawberries.
Spread in a shallow glass pan and chill until set.
Combine softened cream cheese and whipped topping and spread over rhubarb mixture. Refrigerate until served.   Yum, this is SUPER good!!


Rhubarb Strawberry Jello

Finally, here's a recipe for a delicious rhubarb salsa:

Rhubarb Salsa

Ingredients
  • 2 cups rhubarb, diced small
  • 1 cup chopped apple
  • 3 green onions, chopped
  • 2 limes, juiced
  • 2 tablespoons honey or agave nectar
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped

Directions

  1. Bring a pot of water to a boil over medium heat, and stir in the rhubarb; simmer for 2 minutes to blanch. Drain in a colander set in the sink, and let cool.
  2. Stir together the cooled rhubarb, apple, green onions, lime juice, honey, and jalapeno pepper until thoroughly combined.               


Rhubarb Salsa


There you go - my rhubarb recipes with limited sugar.  Next up:  asparagus (yum) and my Grandma Evelyn's sugary delicious rhubarb recipes.  A girls gotta' live.

What's your favorite rhubarb recipe?

Kristin

1 comment:

  1. The rhubarb you gave me did not survive the move, but I have two rhubarb plants growing randomly here, so maybe I can try some of these recipes. I think Evan would LOVE the jello.

    ReplyDelete