Pinterest

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Asparagus and the Herb Garden

I finally cooked up the last of the asparagus.  Last year I kept processing and freezing asparagus until I could not find another morsel but I found that the asparagus was generally mushy or watery no matter how processed it.  So this year, our method of madness is to cook it and eat it until we can no longer consume another bite.  And yes, we're there.

First I made a delicious cream of asparagus soup.  There's no flour or cream in this recipe, so it's relatively healthy and really, really good.  Here's the recipe:  Cream of Asparagus Soup

Cream of Asparagus Soup


The best way to eat asparagus is drizzled with olive oil, a squeeze of lemon (if you have it) and sea salt cooked for approximately 10 minutes on the grill.    I had this for breakfast today - delish!!




Grilled Asparagus




The second most exciting news of the day though is my herb garden.  My friend running friend Patrice (you know, the one with the goat) gave me a bunch of herbs from her garden.  Normally, I would get an herb and I would plant it in a random spot in our yard and either it would not grow, I would not recognize it the next year, or it would get crowded out by weeds.  This year I planted my own herb garden on the deck and I've been using the herbs daily.  The cool thing about my herb garden is that I can move this inside and use it all year round.  Sounds good, so I hope it works!!

Here's my son Graham giving the tour of the mini herb garden which contains oregano, mint, cilantro, spearmint, stevia, onion chives, and garlic chives.






The most exciting news of the day is that fresh strawberries are now in season in Shell Lake and I have the last of my rhubarb to use up - so expect a strawberry rhubarb blog soon.

Anyone have a good strawberry rhubarb recipe?

Thanks for reading,

Kristin


2 comments:

  1. Oh, that's right you don't like asparagus, right? Yup - here's Graham's first video performance. It's supposed to freeze so we had to move it all inside.

    ReplyDelete