Pinterest

Friday, May 25, 2012

The 2012 Garden

We had fun planting our garden this week.   We planted 34 tomato plants, jalapenos, snap peas, cucumbers, green beans, carrots, beets, zucchini, broccoli and purple and cheddar cauliflower.   

Thanks to Susan Buchman who gave me over 1/2 my tomato plants that she started from seed.  Thanks to Kerry for the cheddar and purple cauliflower, Debi for the cages, and the Byrd's for the use of the terrific space.  I'm a lucky to have such great friends! 

Here's a picture of 1/2 of the garden - the other side is mostly seed so it doesn't look like much yet.




Half the garden!



Last year I canned tomatoes with my friend Kristy and Sooz, and those tomatoes lasted until the end of February but this year I hope to can enough so I can make it all the way through the year. 

Here's a scrumptious healthy rhubarb muffin recipe:

Healthy Rhubarb Muffins

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup light maple syrup
  • 1/8 cup butter
  • 1/8 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 cup low fat sour cream
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups organic whole wheat flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 1/2 cups rhubarb
  • 1 tablespoon sugar substitute (I used Xyloitol which is from tree bark)
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

  • Directions

    Dice rhubarb into 1/4 inch chunks.
  • Heat oven to 375°F Combine syrup and butter/applesauce in a large bowl. Beat at medium speed until creamy. Add sour cream and eggs and continue beating till well mixed.
  • Stir in flour, cinnamon, and baking soda, just until moist. Fold in rhubarb. Spoon into greased or paper lined muffin pan.
  • Stir together 1 T sugar and 1/2 t cinnamon in small bowl. Sprinkle on top of each muffin.   Bake at 375 for 30 minutes.


  • Healthy Rhubarb Muffins

    For some reason, these muffins tasted better the second day.

    Does anyone have a healthy way to cook up rhubarb?  Most recipes are full of sugar.


    Thanks for reading!

    Kristin


    2 comments:

    1. Your garden looks great! My seeds are not coming up. Think I'm going to have to start over on that side. Luckily with this early spring, I think it will be fine.

      ReplyDelete
    2. I can't wait to see your garden when we come to visit in a few weeks. Yes, you have plenty of time to add in some plants. Don't you love it?!

      ReplyDelete