Pinterest

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Asparagus and Rhubarb...and the skeets

We're into the second full week of asparagus and rhubarb and we're not getting sick of either one - yet!  First I made a PHENOMONAL healthy asparagus salad.  Yum, yum.`

ASPARAGUS SALAD
INGREDIENTS
1 cup asparagus
1 red bell pepper
1 jalapeno finely minced
1/2 cup broccoli
1 cup chickpeas
1/4 cup celery
1/4 cup carrots
1/4 cup cilantro
Juice of 1 lime
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt and Pepper

Cut asparagus and broccoli and blanch vegetables for 4 minutes.   Give vegetables an ice bath.  Mix with the remaining vegetables, lime juice, oil, and salt and pepper.  WOW! 

Asparagus Salad


My Grandma Evelyn made the BEST rhubarb desserts, but her rhubarb cake with the meringue top is my all time favorite.   There's nothing healthy about this dessert and but hey you gotta' live once in awhile.  Here's the website with the closest recipe I could find. 
Rhubarb Cake with Meringue Topping

Rhubarb Cake



I also used my asparagus to make Asparagus Fried Rice.  I like to make fried rice with quinoa because I'm getting 20 grams of protein per serving and it's super healthy!


ASPARAGUS FRIED RICE

Ingredients:

1/2 cup cooked quinoa
1/2 cup asparagus
2 eggs
Garlic
1 tsp. olive oil
1 tsp. salt, pepper and rosemary

Stir fry asparagus and garlic in olive oil for 3 minutes tender (about 5 minutes).  Add cooked quinoa to the pan and crack 2 eggs on top.  Mix and cook until eggs are done.   Season with salt, pepper, and rosemary.  LOVE this recipe!

Asparagus Fried Rice


The mosquitos are in full bloom.  Normally I wear long sleeved shirts and long pants in the garden to keep away the skeets, but we've had some super hot days and that has not seemed practical so I've been using lemon euclyptis essential oil and it works great.

I'm looking for an all-natural sunscreen.  Has anyone had any luck?

Thanks for reading,

Kristin


No comments:

Post a Comment