Pinterest

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Zucchini Recipes - The Best Yet!!

We had a hard freeze in the Northwoods this week, so I went to my garden to start prepping it for winter and I found a few zucchini's that had been hiding beneath their massive leaves, so I got busy with some more zucchini recipes.  Three of these recipes are the best to date, and I had one epic failure (happens, right?).

This morning I went on a great rainy 6 or 7 mile run with my friend Patrice and Carolyn.  Afterwards we saunaed (heaven) and then she shared 2 quarts of goats milk from her goat Myrtle.   Since it was cold, and I had zucchini, carrots and potatoes to use up, I decided to make Zucchini, Potato, Corn Chowder.  Even my kids LOVED it!

Myrtle's Zucchini, Potato Corn Chowder

Zucchini, Corn, Potato Chowder

2 tbsp. butter
1 cup of zucchini
3 potatoes cubed
1 onion
1 cup of carrots
2 cups of corn
4 cups of vegetable broth
1 cup of whole milk (I used Myrtles goat milk)
Salt, pepper and parsley

Saute zucchini, onion,  and carrots for 5 minutes.  Add broth and potatoes.  Bring to a boil and then simmer for 25 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.  Add corn and milk - done when the corn is warm.  Delish!!

The kids and I went to barn dance and party at the McKinney's in Cable last night.  The kids enjoyed the zip line, gunny sack races, and dancing in the barn.   I have some great video of Gus and Greta shaking their booty without a care in the world and here's a video of Greta on the zip line.




For the barn potluck I made Pumpkin Zucchini Bread and Zucchini Brownies.  The brownies were gone almost instantly from the potluck, and they were the moistest, most delicious brownies on the planet.  I can't wait to make them again.  In fact, I might enter them into the Cable Fall Fest Bake-Off.

Here's both recipes: 


I used up some pumpkin from last year (more on pie pumpkins in a later blog) and for the brownies I used my Grandma Lundberg's brownie frosting recipe.  I do not like brownies unless they have good frosting, so I had to use my Grandma's recipe.   


Pumpkin Zucchini Bread and Yummy Zucchini Brownies Photgraphed in my Grandma's Dishes



Well, I had three great recipes and one failure.  I found a crock pot recipe for vegetable strata calling for all of the veggies I needed to use up.  Too bad it made the vegetables mushy and grey...yuck.   I like my vegetables with a little crunch and color.  At least the tomato slice and bread were good!


Grey Mush

 
Gus insists that I include a video of him walking into a hay trap.  He's such a good actor....lol.





Thanks to the McKinney's for making our weekend grand.  When I tucked Gus in last night he said, "this was the best night of my life....well, next to the Packer game."

Happy Cooking,

Kristin



2 comments:

  1. Missed you guys today, what a beautiful tomato!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum. That chowder looks good. You must try these Zucchini Chocolate Chip cookies from Barbara Kingsolver's book, "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life."

    ReplyDelete