Pinterest

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Cooking with Carrots!!

I've discovered some amazing carrot recipes that I must share!  The carrots in my garden weren't as successful as I would've liked, but I did get plenty from the CSA (Berlage's) and the Cable Farmer's Market. 
I have a soup, salad, bread and cake recipe ALL equally fantastic. But, like someone famous once said, "Life is uncertain.  Eat dessert first."   So, I start with cake!



Grandma Scheffer's Carrot Cake in my Grandma;s dishes


My sister-in-law Tracy shared her Grandma Scheffer's famous carrot cake recipe, so I had to give it a try.  Yes, it's a pain to shred carrots, but if you are going to be eating carrot cake it's o.k. to burn a few calories making it, right?


Grandma Scheffer's Carrot Cake
1 1/4 cup cooking oil
1 cup sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp salt
4 eggs
2 1/4 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 8oz can crushed pineapple
1 1/2 cups shredded coconut (optional)
1 1/2 cups shredded carrots
1 cup nutmeats (optional)
1/2 cup steamed raisins (optional)
Combine cooking oil, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla & salt. Blend well. Add eggs, beat well. Add flour, baking soda & pineapple - blend well. Fold in carrots, coconut, nutmeats & raisins - blend well. Bake in 9x13" pan @ 350 for 50-60 minutes.
Frosting:
6 oz cream cheese
1/2 cup butter (melted)
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
Blend well together, frost cooled cake. Sprinkle with chopped nuts.


Oh, sooooooooooo delicious!!!!!!

Next I made THE BEST bread ever if I do say so myself.  I made it after work, football, soccer, (you get the idea) because I planned on bringing it to a staff meeting in Hayward in the morning.  Well, guess what....it was literally gone in 15 minutes.  Yes, it's that good!


OMG Carrot Banana Bread - on my Grandma's dishes


I'm not too proud of the picture, but the kids were salivating around me, so I was feeling quite rushed.
Here's the link:  OMG - Carrot Banana Bread

Next up, I made a carrot salad that I thought was divine.  I cut the recipe in 1/2 so I was the only one that actually ate the salad (I wasn't sure if anyone else would appreciate it), but I will make it again next year when I have access to more garden fresh carrots.  Thanks to the Berlage's for the recipe.  Yum!!


Carrot Yogurt Salad

I bought a new pepper grinder, and I went a little nuts but since I LOVE pepper and knew I was the only one eating the salad, it was all well and good.

Combine and chill!

Last but not least, I made Carrot Ginger Soup.  Usually, I eat the organic Pacific Carrot Ginger Soup, but I thought I should give it a shot with the carrots from the Farmer's Market.  It was SUPER good:)

Here's the recipe:  Carrot Ginger Soup

Carrot Ginger Soup


Between moving back in to our living space, football, soccer, horse-riding lessons, confirmation, boy scouts, and gymnastics I'm not sure if I'm coming or going.  But, I'm still finding time to crank out a recipe or two (thank goodness) and the kids have been crashing around 8 p.m. which frees up some of my time.
Up next:  squash!!  If you have any great squash recipes I'd love to hear from you!

Kristin
Berlage's Carrot-Yogurt Salad

1 pound carrots, scrubbed or peeled and coarsely grated
2 medium-sized apples, grated
1-2 Tablespoons lemon juice
1-2 Tablespoons honey
A pinch of celery seed
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 Tablespoon poppy seeds (optional)

No comments:

Post a Comment