Pinterest

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Splendid Squash Dishes

“Autumn, the year's last, loveliest smile.”
William Cullen Bryant
As the air gets crisp and the leaves start to change, I love warm, comfort food like squash.  Nothin' like soup to warm you up and make you feel good.  Here's an awesome Butternut Squash Soup:

Butternut Squash Soup



Butternut Squash Soup

My favorite recipe of all time is Squash Risotto.  It's one of those "lick the bowl and mourn because it's done" kind of a dish.  This time I tried Ino Burton's (Food Network) Squash Risotto (thanks Kerry). 

Squash Risotto

Squash Risotto


Well, it may not look very appetizing in this picture, I can assure you that it is DIVINE heaven in your mouth:)

Then I made Stuffed Squash, recipe courtesy of the Berlage's:


Stuffed Squash


The New Moosewood Cookbook
Stuffed Winter Squash

From

2 medium-sized winter squash, baked as directed below
2 Tablespoons butter
1 cup minced onions
1/2 pound mushrooms, minced
1 large clove garlic, minced
1 stalk celery, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
Lots of black pepper
1/2 teaspoon sage
1/2 teaspoon thyme
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 cup minced walnuts
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup raisings (optional)
2 cups good bread crumbs (from good bread)
6 to 8 dried apricots
1 cup (packed) grated cheddar cheese (optional)
Cut squashes in half, scooping out seeds. Invert into a
glass baking pan with 1/2 inch of water and bake in a
350 degree oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Drain. Melt
butter in large skillet. Add onions and sauté over medium
heat for 5 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
Add mushrooms, garlic, celery, and seasonings, and
sauté 10 minutes until tender. Stir in remaining ingredients
and mix well. Bake at 350, covered, 20-30 minutes.

Last but not least, I steamed up some squash (350 in the oven in 1/2 inch of water for one hour).  After it was cooked I scooped it up and added a little brown sugar, butter, and salt and pepper.  Simple, yet delicious. 


Steamed Squash




The Boys Bird Hunting

My boys are out hunting for birds this morning and Greta and I are cooking up a few things for a barn dance potluck we are attending.  I've had a vegetable strata in the crock pot since 8 a.m., but I can't take it out until 2.  Oh, it smells so good,...I can't wait.   Greta and I are also making zucchini brownies and pumpkin zucchini bread to bring to the family barn dance. 


And finally, I found this quote that I can totally relate to:

You know, when you get your first asparagus, or your first acorn squash, or your first really good tomato of the season, those are the moments that define the cook's year. I get more excited by that than anything else.
Mario Batali
Happy Fall Cooking,

Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment