Pinterest

Friday, September 9, 2011

Crazy for Corn

Picking sweet corn has become a fun-filled tradition for the kids and me.  The kids LOVE picking corn more than berries, probably because you can fill up a bag pretty quickly and it's not a whole lot of work.  Bonnie and Jeff Schultz let me bring the kids to their hobby farm by Stone Lake and we picked about 30 dozen cobs of corn in about 20 minutes.  The Schultz's are amazing gardeners (wow!) and they let us pick for free.  Thanks again Schultz's!!

Here we are on corn picking day!!

Me and Gus picking corn


Gus and Greta in Schult's corn field


After we picked the corn, we went to my friend Debi's and husked it all, boiled it outside for a few minutes in the turkey broiler, dunked it in cold water, and then brought it in to cut, package, and freeze.  Here we are husking corn:


Debi and Me husking LOTS of corn


My cousin Erinn recommended this next salad.   I made two batches of it in 3 days and it's all gone.  It's one of the best salads I've ever, ever had.  Thanks again Erinn - it was delish!!!!


Best Ever Corn Salad


Here's the recipe:  The Best Corn Salad Ever

Kerry Rothgeb shared this recipe for this awesome Corn Salsa.  I'm a sucker for any sort of salsa but this one is exceptional!!


Corn Salsa

Smoky Grilled Corn Salsa

6 plum tomatoes, halved
4 medium ears sweet corn, husks removed
2 medium yellow sweet peppers, halved
2 medium green peppers, halved
3 jalapeno peppers, halved and seeded
1 medium red onion, cut into 1/2 inch slices
1/4 cup minced cilantro
3 Tbsp olive oil
3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
5 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp pepper

1. Grill the tomatoes, corn, peppers, and onion, covered, over medium heat for 10-12 minutes or until tender, turning occasionally. Allow vegetables to cool slightly. Remove corn from cobs; transfer to a large bowl. Chop the remaining vegetables and add to corn.
2. In a small bowl, whisk the cilantro,oil, vinegar,garlic,salt,sugar, and pepper. Pour over vegetables; toss to coat. Serve warm or cold.

The most famous Lundberg recipe of all is Sue Lundberg's Scallopped Corn.  Now, I don't dare reveal her secret recipe on the eve of her daughter's wedding (my cousin Karla), but this is the closest one I could find.  This is usually what I bring to the Frane's for Thanksgiving. 



Sue Lundberg's Scallopped Corn



We are CORNED out in this household.  Luckily we have a freezer FULL of corn so in a few months we will still be eating the freshest, sweetest corn ever. 

Our house repair is pretty much complete, so we have started moving back into our living space.  I found my Grandma's every day silverware that I inherited, so I cleaned out our old stuff and started new.  I love having a clean, organized drawer.  I hope to get to ALL of them.  Being displaced has forced us to to through everything and to be organized again, and that's a good thing.





Up next, I will be blogging about apples. My sister-in-law Tracy sent me TONS of apples from her parents farm so we've been busy eating and cooking with apples. 


Happy corn picking!

Kristin








1 comment:

  1. Did you put avocado in your salad? It looks like it could use some more. Isn't it delicious? I really need to go apple picking soon, too.

    ReplyDelete