Pinterest

Saturday, September 3, 2011

My Birthday Meal: In Season Delights

I had a really great birthday!!  Thanks to everyone for the well wishes, cards, and presents.   I was able to be the guest coach at Ski and Tea, and we had a great morning workout on the Makwa trail.  My friend Stacey brought me cupcakes and also a free entry into the Birkie Trail 1/2 Marathon (I have been training but have been slow to sign up).  I had a few minutes at home for lunch before the next "mom taxi pick-up service", so I whipped up some kale chips, heated up some leftover corn-on-the-cob, and made a grilled cheese sandwich with a tomato on top.  PERFECT!!

My Refreshing Birthday Lunch


Everyone knows how to make grilled cheese and corn, but to make the kale chips, you de-stem, cut in small pieces, drizzle with olive oil and sea salt and bake for 30 minutes until crisp.  This is a good and easy way to use up your kale from the garden.

I've worked with Tom Sweeney for about 10 years, and he and his wife always give me yummy treats for my birthday.  This year, he gave me his home-made maple syrup (that's like gold in our house), wine (yummo), and pickled garlic.  Chad and I ate up the garlic almost immediately, so I dug some garlic out of my garden and made some more....delish!!!



Pickled Garlic
 For supper, I made one of my all-time favorite meals with my patty pan squash.  This risotto is so good that I usually want to lick the bowl. 




Patty Pan Squash Risotto
Ingredients: 
4 T Parmesan Cheese
4 cups of vegetable broth
2 oz. wine
2 tsp. olive oil
.25 tsp nutmeg
1 cup of squash
.75 arborio rice

Heat 4 cups of veggie broth and keep on low heat.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Toss and peel cubed squash with olive oil, salt and pepper and garlic and roast at 400 for 20 minutes.

Add wine to dry rice until rice has absorbed it and add broth one cup at a time until absorbed.  Stir in the squash and mix in the nutmeg and Parmesan cheese.  Yummy!!


Thank goodness Stacey sent home leftover cupcakes!


Stacey's Birthday Cupcakes

The kids wanted to add LOTS of candles. It was late, and I was exhausted (can you tell?), but it was very sweet of them to want to remember mom.

I plan on having more of my birthday in-season favorites coming up in a few days.  On Monday the kids and I (along with my friend Debi) are going to pick our corn, process and freeze for the winter months. 

Here's a couple of nature photographs I took in the last 2 weeks that I think are pretty cool.


Duck on Lake Owen



Dragonfly on Alder Lake - landed on my mom's book



Happy Cooking,

Kristin

1 comment:

  1. Ooh. I wish Jim liked squash. That risotto recipe sounds yummy. Maybe I'll make it sometime when my folks are around.

    ReplyDelete