Pinterest

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Watermelon!!

You can always find a watermelon on our counter when they are in season - we LOVE 'em!!  They do not grow well in the colder-Hayward-climate, so I buy them from Barronett Bob's or from Wheatfield Organics who truck the produce from Barronnet and the Menomonie area.

To start with , I made a refreshing Mint, Watermelon, Feta Cheese salad.  My running friend Sue shared some of her mint, so I whipped up this delicious salad.


Watermelon Mint Feta Salad


Watermelon Mint Feta Salad  Click on the blue link for Paula Dean's recipe.

This recipe is sooooooo fantastic that it's worth mentioning again.  This is from my running friend Stacey Raymond.  Delish!!


Stacey's Watermelon Blueberry Salad


Stacey's Watermelon Blueberry Salad
Bring 1/4 cup of sugar and 1/4 of water to a simmer in a saucepan.
Remove from heat, add 3 mint sprigs and steep for 10 minutes.
Discard mint and add zest and juice from 1 lemon and a pinch of salt.
Toss with 3 cups of cubed watermelon and 2 cups of blueberries.
Let stand 15 minutes. Top with chopped mint.
Hmmm, Hmmm, good!


I also made this great Watermelon Salsa again.  It sounds weird, but it tastes GREAT!!!  Oh, and it's soooo easy to cut little V's into the watermelon to make a decorative bowl.   The bowl looks impressive and when you are done you can throw it away.


Watermelon Salsa


Next up, I made this great, refreshing Watermelon Gazpacho.


Watermelon Gazpacho

Watermelon Gazpacho - click on the link for this great recipe.


My parents came up yesterday for my birthday, so we took a shopping trip to Cable then went to the cooking store and candy store in Hayward.  They also took us out to one of my favorite restaurants, The Angry Minnow.


From left to right:  Dad, Mom, Me, Greta and Gus



My tip of the day:

Keep your mint, cilantro, parsley or any other type of herb wrapped in paper towel and then add to a Ziploc bag.  My cilantro keeps for 3 weeks this way, but will go bad in 3 days if I don't wrap it in paper towel.  I then take a sharpie and mark the bag so I remember what I have wrapped up.  Works like a charm!!!

I'm starting to freeze some tomatoes and apples today (thanks Tracy Lundberg for the apples).  If the rain stops, the kids and are going to try to pick the rest of the blackberries (I think the skeets are better).  Tomorrow, I'm looking forward to picking corn for the winter months with Debi and the kids.

Here's my little ones at Tremblay's Candy Store in Hayward.  If you ever visit Hayward, you must visit this place.  They also have free samples of peanut brittle and peanut butter fudge - so yummy!


Gus and Greta at Tremblay's



Until next time,

Kristin

1 comment:

  1. You'll have to give me a lesson sometime on freezing tomatoes and apples. I'm thinking of buying a pressure cooker for next year's tomatoes. I'll probably use all of this year's. Do B & T have a productive apple tree???

    ReplyDelete