Pinterest

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Book Geek Bi-Monthly Review

The only nice part about being laid up is that I've been able to catch up on my books and I've read some incredible novels and one great autobiography.

  • The Language of Flowers, Vanessa Diffenbaugh - 2 thumbs up
This book is the story of a woman growing up in the foster system - both touching and tough.  Super easy read and absolutely LOVED IT!!!

  • State of Wonder, Ann Patchett - 1 3/4 thumbs up
In her newest novel, State of Wonder, she writes the story of an ordinary woman who finds herself in the heart of the Amazon searching for answers surrounding the mysterious death of a colleague.  LOVED this book too, but it took me about 50 pages or so to get into the story.


State of Winder by Ann Patchett


  • Wild, Cheryl Strayed - 2 thumbs up
Fantastic, true story about a woman's hike and along the Pacific Crest Trail.  I could not put this book down - totally amazing story.  This book is also on Oprah's newest Book Club pick.
  • The Alchemist, Paulo Coelho - 2 thumbs up
This book is one of my top 10 books of all time.  This is the simple story of a man following his heart and living his dreams but the message is profound and moving even the second time around. 
  • 11/22/63, Stephen King - no rating yet
This book is HUGE and I'm not through with it yet - but so far I LOVE IT.  A man goes back in time to try and prevent the assassination of JFK.  I never thought I'd read another Stephen King book again - but I'm glad I picked this one up.

I've spent close to a week reading in bed.


In case you missed it, here's my August and September Bi-Monthly Book Review.

You know how much my Grandma's dishes mean to me, well I broke one of her 60 year old bowls last month and I was heartbroken.  Today, I loaded the car, drove 5 miles on a hilly gravel road and suddenly Greta reminded me that I put my Grandma's coffee cup on the roof of the family mini-van.  I pulled over, and through some miracle my Grandma's cup survived the trip.  What a bloody miracle.

My Grandma's cup went for a ride this morning on the roof of the car - and survived!


What book are you reading?  Once I finish 11/22/63 I'm going to need a good book - I'm on a roll!

Thanks for reading,

Kristin



2 comments:

  1. I haven't read any of those books. How lucky that the cup didn't break!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Alchemist is one of my all time Top 10 too. I'm reading 11/22/63 right not too. Thought I would finish during vaca, but it's a doosy. I'm about 10 pages from the end, so we'll discuss this weekend. I have "Wild" on my short list, but my next book is the new Ken Follett book. It's another giant, but I cannot wait to start it!!!!

    ReplyDelete