Pinterest

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Happy 85th Birthday Grandma Johnson

November 21st is a special day - my Grandma would have turned 85 today so we celebrated by visiting the grave, singing Happy Birthday, making pumpkin torte (her recipe) and devouring some root beer floats (her speciality).

And lucky us, we found three new things from my Grandma Johnson just a few days ago.  How appropriate that we would find these items (even a note) only days from her 85th birthday.  This is what we found: 

1.  Nativity Set and Note

My Grandma left me this nativity set along with a note that said, "I'd like to give this set to Kristin - do not donate to a thrift shop.  This was given to me in 1976 by Lori" (her daughter who died 7 years ago).   Inside the nativity set was a Swiss army knife which Gus was absolutely sure was set inside the Rubbermaid container just for him.  You should've seen us jumping up and down.    My Grandma has been gone for almost 3 years and I'm wondering why it took us 3 years to find this.  Well, I can tell you why (hello, Hoarders Here).

Just found - Nativity Set AND a note from my Grandma



2.  Teacup and Saucer

I inherited many cups and saucers from my Grandma, but this one is probably the most beautiful and we just ran across it this weekend.  Isn't it amazing?  My mom said her friend Winnie from England gave it to her.

Teacup and Saucer I just found from my Grandma



3.   Family Cookbook and Another Note

My Grandma gave me a family cookbook from 1985 and she wrote me a note that said, "to Kristin, with love, Grandma Johnson".  May sound like a simple note to you, but my Grandma was full-blooded Norwegian and the word LOVE didn't come out very often.  We TOTALLY knew she loved us and felt it, but it wasn't a word that was ever shared.  Anyway, inside the cookbook there's recipes from a lot of my relatives including:  Erinn Stewart (play dough  ), Twila Jacobson (brownies) Kara Paulson (carrot cake),  Paula Stewart (lasagna ) and my Grandma and Hilma disclose their famous lefse and krumkakke recipes and secrets step by step - how cool!

Family Cookbook and Note just found from my Grandma


In honor of my Grandma's birthday I decided to try the recipe she entered into the cookbook:  Pumpkin Torte.

PUMPKIN TORTE

Ingredients:
2 cups crushed graham crackers
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter

8 ounces cream cheese
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs

2 cups pumpkin
2 egg yolks
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Unflavored gelatin
3 egg whites

DIRECTIONS

Mix first 3 ingredients and press into a pan.  Beat cream cheese, sugar and 2 eggs and add to top of crust.  Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.  Combine and cook pumpkin, egg yolks and cinnamon.  Dissolve 1 tablespoon of unflavored gelatin in 1/4 cup cold water and add to hot pumpkin mixture and chill.  Beat until foamy 3 egg whites gradually adding in 1/2 cup sugar until a meringue forms.  Fold meringue into cooled pumpkin mixture.  Spoon over cheese layer.   DELICIOUS!!


We visited the cemetery in Osseo today.  I almost hate visiting the grave because it usually brings about some ugly crying, but I wanted to visit on her special day and my Grandma LOVED her birthday (really, any celebration) so we needed to pay our respects and sing her happy birthday. 



 
Every time I took the picture - a bright dot appeared in the picture
Reminded me of an orb and gave me comfort
 
 
 
It's a day of mixed emotions for sure.  But at supper tonight my mom and Aunt Paul gave my cousin and I each one of my Grandma's rings that she wore every day and my brother a knife from my Grandpa.  It was another sad but happy moment.

My cousin and I inherited my Grandma's rings tonight
Pictured next to my Grandma's pumpkin torte


What are you doing for turkey day?  We visit my family first and then Chad's family.  It's a little hectic, but I'm pretty blessed to have family living close so we can see everyone.

Thanks for reading and Happy Birthday Grandma.  I miss you every day.

Kristin

4 comments:

  1. Love your Grandma stories! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Stacey! I hope you did a Turkey Trot today?! I did my first 5K, and it was a good place for me to start. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting the pumpkin torte. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a little putzy and not-so-healthy (although I used real pumpkin) but it was good so I'm going to make it next year for her birthday for sure!!

    ReplyDelete