Pinterest

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Nutritional Yeast and Madonna

What does nutritional yeast and Madonna have in common?  They are both super healthy (wow, Madonna) and I got to know both a little bit better this weekend.  Below I'll review nutritional yeast and the Madonna concert (very random, lol).


NUTRITIONAL YEAST

After reading the book Eat and Run by Scott Jurek (see my book review here), I was inspired to try a few new things including nutrional yeast.   Nutritional yeast has 14 grams of protein in one ounce and is a great source of B12, magnesium and fiber plus it tastes great (like Parmesan cheese), but here's an article about all the Benefits of Nutritional Yeast.  No worries though, the yeast is de-activiated so it doesn't blow up in your stomach.


Here's my two nutritional yeast recipes:

1.  BEAN DIP

1 can of black beans
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1/2 teaspoon salt

Blend and serve with chips, veggies, or in my case I added it to a baked sweet potato with salsa - DELICIOUS!!

Bean Dip served over a Sweet Potato


Next, I made a delicious healthy "fake" cheese sauce:

2.  NUTRITIONAL YEAST CHEESE SAUCE

1/2 cup Nutritional yeast
1/4 cup Flour
2 tbsp Cornstarch
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Garlic powder
2 cups Water
1 tsp Dijon Mustard
2 tbsp olive oil

Mix together in a a small pot and cook on medium heat until boiling.  Stir until sauce thickens and then take off heat.

I had this with both vegetables and chips and it was absolutely delicious!!!!
 
Brocolli and Nutrtional Yeast Cheese Dip served in my Grandma's Dishes


 
I also sprinkled the yeast on popcorn, pizza, and salads and I loved it every time.
 
.
MADONNA CONCERT
 
The Madonna concert was EPIC -  what a show!!    Paul Okenfold  opened the show which I thought was a PERFECT pick - nothing worse than sitting through a bad opening act.  Madonna started very late (after 10:30) and most nights I turn into a pumpkin at 10 p.m. so I was a little worried and her first two songs were odd ball songs and she was acting out violent scenes (shooting people - blood splattered on the big screen).   After that though, the show kicked into high gear reminding me of a Broadway-type musical full of tight ropes, contortionists, dancing, lights, trap doors, political bantering and of course singing.  My favorite song of the night was Like A Prayer - she had an entire choir behind her and the music was powerful - I had goosebumps.



Erinn and I in our seats at the Xcel Energy Center - 2012
I was hoping I could find a picture of us at the concert in 1985 but no luck.

Her singing is not quite top notch and she only sang a couple of her big hits as we hear them on the radio.   Her show was very original though and I can appreciate her artistic twist on her hit songs.  The best part (besides our awesome seats) was spending time with my awesome cousin Erinn.  We saw Madonna in 1985 at her peak, so we knew we had to go back.  Let's just say, Madonna looks better than 1985 and her show has improved light years (and even then she was very good).



So if you get a chance, I'd check out Madonna in a heartbeat.   

Here's my recent concert reviews to give you an idea of how Madonna ranked:

  • Madonna - 1 3/4 thumbs up (less because of her vocals) but GREAT show
  • KISS / Motley Crue - 1 1/2 thumbs up (weird set lists, but still good)
  • U2 - 2 thumbs up plus - best concert EVER hands down
  • Stone Temple Pilots - 2 thumbs up - front row, Scott Weiland's vocals were primo

Who are you hoping to see in concert?  What was your favorite concert of all time?  Up next, I'd like to see Pink, Foo Fighters and Lady Gaga all touring this Spring.  How was your weekend?

Thanks for reading!

Kristin
 

1 comment:

  1. How do you have time to get this posted already!?! And - spending time with you was my favorite part too. Let's see. Best concert of all time was Radiohead at Alpine Valley hands down, but there is a tough list of seconds. Madonna was not up there on my list of concerts, but if I put her in a category of performances... well, I can't think of a single comparison.

    ReplyDelete