Pinterest

Friday, September 14, 2012

Book Geek

For some reason, I've been in a non-fiction rut since my last book blog .  Keep reading and you will find my quick and dirty reviews:

  • Eat and Run by Scott Jurek - 2 THUMBS UP - loved this book
             Autobiography - very inspirational book about an ultra marathoner and vegan

Eat and Run, Scott Jurek



  • Born to Run by Christopher McDougall - 1 3/4 THUMBS UP
          True story about a group of runners in the canyons of Mexico - interesting read!


Born to Run




  • The Way I See It by Temple Grandin - 1 THUMBS UP
           Interesting read about Temple's view of the world living with Aspberger's

Me with Temple Grandin this summer

  • Heroin Diaries by Nikki Sixx - 2 THUMBS WAY UP
          Awesome read about Nikki Sixx's road to recovery. I've read it twice :)



Heroin Diaries by Nikki Sixx



  • Food Rules, Micheal Pollan - 1 1/2 thumbs up

Food Rules, Micheal Pollan


This line from his book sums it up:  Eat food.  Not too much.  Mostly plants.
Thanks to my cousin Erinn for sending me this great book!

I'm smack dab in the middle of State of Wonder by Ann Patchet and I'm really enjoying it.  Ann wrote Bel Canto which happens to be on my top 10 books of all times.

Just off the top of my head, I would classify these as my top non-fiction books:
  • Bel Canto, Ann Patchet
  • Mudbound, Hillary Jordan
  • Gone With the Wind, Margaret Mitchell
  • Roots, Alex Haley
  • Dovekeeper, Alice Hoffman
  • A Tree Grows In Brooklyn, Betty Smith
What's your favorite non-fiction book?

We're having such an awesome week.  Graham scored a couple of touchdowns in his football game, Greta was asked to represent her class in the homecoming float and my little Gus is happy to be back in school.  To celebrate we've been working hard to pull off a little Mexican Dance Party scheduled for Saturday night. 

Check out my harvest - this for sure is the last big harvest.  Check out the purple and gold cauliflower (thanks Kerry!).

Check out Thursdays harvest - wowser!


Have a great weekend,

Kristin

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kristin, I really liked Eat & Run too, thanks for letting me read it. He is almost fanatical about running, but what really inspired me was his growing up years and his love for his mom who suffered from MS. 2 thumbs up from me too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anything by Ann Patchet is a good read. Her ' Run' is one of my favorites.
    Favorite non-fiction Barbara Kingsolver 'Animal, Vegetable, Miracle'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Stacey, Scott was quite obsessed with running but I really loved his story too. And Jackie, I've read Ann's book The Magician Assistant too but I've never heard of "Run" - I'm going to check it out. And yes, I agree, AVM takes the cake!

    ReplyDelete