Pinterest

Saturday, September 29, 2012

Three Basic Apple Recipes

This week I sent 7 years old Greta up into our neighbors tree to pick 60 pounds of apples - she threw them to the ground and I loaded up our buckets full of their amazing Macintosh apples.  Apples are listed as the #1 food you need to purchase organic according to the 12 Dirty Dozen food list developed each year.   The peel of an apple is thin and once the apple tree is sprayed you can be sure the chemicals and pesticides overtake your apple.  

Apples from our neighbors


The first thing I did with the apples is make applesauce.  In fact I spent 2 days making and canning applesauce.  By the time I was done I literally felt stir crazy. 


RECIPE 1:    APPLESAUCE

Core 40 pounds of apples (or whichever amount you choose)
Boil apples for 30 minute
Run the apples through a food mill which removes skin and seeds and turned into applesauce. 
Boil the applesauce with about 1/2 cup of honey, 1/2 cup of steevia, and 3 tablespoons of cinnamon (to taste)
Can sauce (water bath canner for 12 minutes) which made about 24 quarts of applesauce or freeze!

 My kids eat a ton of applesauce, and I feel good knowing that I've made a fairly healthy version of something they already love.   My Grandma made the best applesauce ever - we looked forward to it every year BUT, later I found out the reason it was so good because it consisted of half apples and half sugar.  While I'd love to carry on her tradition, I'm choosing a healthier version of her sauce.

Applesauce in my Grandma's bubble dishes
Check out the trees in our backyard - the picture doesn't do it justice



Recipe 2:  Crock Pot Apple Steel Cut Oats

Ingredients
  • 2 apples, peeled, cored, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (2-1/2 to 3 cups chopped)
  • 1-1/2 cups milk (or substitute non-diary alternative like almond milk)
  • 1-1/2 cups water
  • 1 cup uncooked steel-cut oats
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar (or substitute maple syrup or other desired sweetener)
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

Spray with non-stick cooking spray, mix ingredients, and cook oats and apples on low for 7 to 8 hours and breakfast is served - DELICIOUS!!!

Steel Cut Oats and Apples in the Crockpot - YUM!


I've also made my share of apple pies this week both for the neighbors and for the family.  Seriously, I'm not sure if there's anything better in the whole world than fresh, warm, apple pie.

RECIPE 3:  Basic Apple Pie

Make 2 pie crusts using your favorite recipe
In a bowl combine the following:
6 cups apples
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 tablespoon lemon juice

Heat oven to 425.  Place 1 pie crust on the bottom of a pie tin, add filling ingredients and cook for 35 to 40 minutes.  Enjoy!

Here's Greta peeling my apples for apple pie
I like to peel the apples outside because it's a bit messy



I'm also proud of my new canning skills (thanks to Kristy Harrison) and I continued to can 24 more pints of salsa.  I'm TOTALLY in love with this salsa, and I knew I needed to increase my stock.  Here's a video of my canned goods:


Keep in mind, if I could get my hands on an iPhone 5 I would have a panoramic picture, but instead I'll need to video until I can can get my hands on one (I have real big problems, don't I?).

Such an AMAZING day and time of year.  Earlier I was able to hike the absolutely stunning Birkie trail with a friend and last night the kids and I walked around our property admiring the trees as the sun was setting.    As the sun was almost down, I was surrounded by those I love most in the world, the trees were magical and I was brought to tears as I realized how blessed I am to feel my heart and soul overflowing with love for my family.  When we got back Greta wrote this poem and glued some leaves onto paper so we could remember the magnificent Fall day:






What are you doing on this fabulous Fall weekend?  We're headed up to Fall Fest in Cable - can't wait!!

Thanks for reading,

Kristin


1 comment:

  1. Great post Kris! Love the video of you canned goods. You inspire me so much! And I LOVE Greta's poem and Gus's kite!!! Bummer about Grandma's apple sauce. Although it's no surprise, I still miss it.

    ReplyDelete