Pinterest

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Kids Mexican Dance Party

September 15th marks the day the Mexicans declared independence from Spain.  Since we love to celebrate any holiday, we had to plan our very own kids Mexican Dance Party.  

The Menu:

  • Taco's
  • Mexican Jello
  • Chips and Salsa (from the garden)
  • Mexican Fruit (grapes)
  • Mexican Veggies (tomatoes, cauliflower, carrots from the garden)
  • Mexican Lemonade (from scratch, honey for the sweetener)
  • Zucchini Chocolate Chip Cookies
Here's the 3 Amigo's posing with their Mexican meal
Most everything is being served on my Grandma's dishes
 

Simple menu, yes.  But, in my experience the more simple the meal, the more the kids will eat.

THE DANCE PARTY:

As for the dance party, the kids and I had a ton of fun decorating the night before.  Here's a picture of our basement before the dance:

Before the Dance Party


The Dance In 6 Pictures:

After - 30 balloons and 3 rolls of crepe paper - the pic doesn't do it justice


Headstands


Bust a Move


We had to have some old fashioned '80's head banging!
Be careful girls, I once got whip lash that way (true story).


The night ended with Gus' friend performing his made-up serious song about the ridiculousness of girls. 
It was so adorable :)


During the dance party, I served a tray of grapes and a veggie tray and the kids munched on them all night and I never heard, "I'm hungry" which is quite common for second graders. 

PICKLED JALAPENO

It only seemed appropriate on the Mexican Independence Day that I pickle my 50 jalapeno peppers  picked from the garden this week.  Last year, I dried all my peppers but this year I decided to try the pickling method which worked GREAT!

Ingredients
50 Jalapenos
3 cups apple cider vinegar
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon pickling spice

Boil vinegar, sugar and spice for 1 minute or until sugar is dissolved.  Add pickling spice. Pour over jalapenos and store in a jar for up to 2 months.

Pickled Jalapenos

Happy Grito de Dolores!!   What's your favorite Mexican dish?  I'd have to say the glutenous chocoflan, but I didn't think the kids would appreciate it.

Thanks for reading,

Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment