Pinterest

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Happy Healthy Halloween

Typically, any sort of bread (pumpkin bread, apple bread, zucchini bread, etc.) will instantly mean that my scale registers an extra 5 pounds (hmm, I wonder why?).  I've basically banned myself from making bread, but in this case I found a TOTAL WINNER OF A RECIPE.  And as you know from my earlier blogs, pumpkin is super healthy for you  and in this case bananas sweeten the bread and the Greek yogurt replaces the oil.  Before you judge, you should try it - YUM!!

HEALTHY BANANA PUMPKIN BREAD

Ingredients
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup pumpkin glop
  • 2 large over-ripe bananas
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
  • 1 cup pecans (optional)
Directions
  1. Mix the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves in a large bowl.
  2. Mix brown sugar, pumpkin puree, bananas, eggs and yogurt in another large bowl.
  3. Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients followed by the pecans.
  4. Pour the mixture into a greased 9x5 inch loaf pan.
  5. Bake in a preheated 350F oven until golden brown and a toothpick poked into the center comes out clean, about 60 minutes.
This recipe was inspired from a blog I follow called Closet Cooking.  This blog is fun because he highlights some really unique recipes.


Healthy Pumpkin Banana Bread




Our "I Spy" pumpkin turned out absolutely great.  The kids in Gus and Greta's class had a BLAST trying to find everything glued to the pumpkin.  Darcy, thanks again for the idea.

"I Spy" Pumpkin

And, if you missed the Easy Halloween Treats from my last blog, click here:  Kid Friendly Halloween Treats


And finally, we had fun Trick or Treating tonight despite the fact that I'm limping around like I'm 95 (my varicose vein surgery was a success, but I'm still recovering).     Graham handed out candy at one of the Trunk or Treats in town, but Gus and Greta and I went around collecting candy.  Believe it or not, they trick or treated for 3 hours and didn't ask for one single piece of candy.  I'm wondering if they are sick?  At their age I would've had a serious stomach ache from candy overload. 

Trick or Treat



What a great night - Happy Halloween!  What did you do?

Thanks for reading,

Kristin
 
 

3 comments:

  1. Ooh! That recipe could almost make me take the plunge and make my own breads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They didn't ask for candy?! Your kids are superhuman... or at the very least, they have much better willpower than me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only thing I can think of is that they had tons of treats at school so they had enough? I'm still baffled...

    ReplyDelete