Pinterest

Monday, October 22, 2012

What's for Supper: Healthy Pumpkin Squash Risotto

If you haven't noticed, I'm all about the PUMPKIN these days, but the problem with many pumpkin recipes is that they are very fattening.  For about 2 years I've had problems with the veins in my legs, and since it's started to limit my normal activities, I'm about to have surgery.  What does that mean?  Limited exercise which means I really need to watch my calories.

PUMPKIN:

Well, if you read my blog by now you know the health benefits of pumpkin..

QUINOA:

I did a whole blog post on quinoa and I continue to LOVE quinoa.    Quinoa is a complete protein, full of riboflavin, low calorie, a smart carb, builds stamina, improves recovery time, gluten-free and much, more more.  Here's a full article about the tremendous benefits of quinoa:  the amazing benefits of quinoa

Quinoa



So, here you have it - a super short post (it is a Monday after all - whew).

Makes 4 servings
Recipe Ingredients for Quinoa Pumpkin Risotto
1 cup quinoa
2 cloves of garlic
1 cup water
1 cup broth
1 onion
2 cups of pumpkin
2 tsp fresh ginger (optional)
2 T thyme
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup fresh Parmesan or goat cheese

Cooking Directions
Heat olive oil in pan, add chopped onion until soft and translucent, add thyme, then add quinoa, then water and broth, bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer until quinoa soft (but not tender) ~10-12 min- stir every two minutes or so, once desired texture is reached there should be very little if any water left, add pumpkin and stir, flavour as desired.  Add fresh ginger, thyme, salt and pepper stir to heat through, remove from heat, add cheese and let sit ~5 to thicken into desired risotto texture, to serve - plate and top with fresh herbs and/or a little bit of cheese (goat or Parmesan both sound yummy)

Pumpkin Quinoa Risotto in my Grandma's Dish - missing her tonight


Now, I love the idea of using quinoa instead of regular rice for this recipe and limited cheese.  Oh, this is so good AND healthy and this recipe tastes far better the next day.


How was your Monday?  Work for me has been nuts, and nights are so busy between after school activities and homework.  The kids kept singing an adorable song after I picked them up from the church tonight and the video will be loaded by the morning.  For some reason, it takes about 3 hours to load video onto blogger and I'm dreaming of my bed and a book, so it will have to wait. 


What's your pumpkin favorite?  Just because I'm pumpkin obsessed right now, I'll be pumping out quite a few this week.

Thanks again,

Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment