Pinterest

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Healthy Pumpkin Pie

As you can tell, we've had a pumpkin obsession at our house.  Halloween happens to be one of our favorite times of the year. 

As I mentioned in my earlier blogs, pumpkin is super healthy for you and I found a way to make a healthy pumpkin pie.  Most of the time, the fat and sugar is in the crust, so I made a pumpkin pie without the crust and everyone LOVED it.

1 cup Stevia, Xylotol or Sugar
1.5 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground allspice
one half teaspoon ground ginger
one half teaspoon salt (optional, I don't use any)
4 large eggs
3 cups of real cooked pumpkin
1.5 cans (12oz each) of evaporated milk (I used the 2% low fat version)

Mix well using a hand blender or mixer.  Poor until a well sprayed pan.  Cook at 425 for 15 minutes, reduce to 350 and cook for 30 minutes.

Now, I wasn't giving this recipe much hope, but I absolutely LOVED it!  It could be that I've been on a fast and haven't had anything sweet in about a week (ok, probably not that long), but I thought it was divine.  This recipe is also considered gluten-free. 

Gluten Free Pumpkin Pie and the beginning of the Frane's I Spy Pumpkin


Earlier, I also blogged on the traditional pumpkin pie that I totally love - super easy and relatively healthy despite the crust, so here's the link:  Traditional Delicious Pumpkin Pie

Easy Pumpkin Pie from an earlier blog


But, today - I had enough of the mixture above to make a pie without a crust and one with - lucky us!


Our project of the day is to finish our "I Spy Pumpkin".  My long time friend (ok, amazing stylist too) Darcy told me how she made an I Spy Pumpkin with her kids so we followed suit.  We literally just picked up crap around the house and start gluing.  It was such a fun little project. 

Since ours is a work in progress, I'll show you the Chido's finished I Spy Pumpkin (thank-you Darcy):

Chido's - I Spy Pumpkin


I'm laid up and having a hard time staying still.  I had surgery on my veins on Thursday and I'm pretty much stuck to bed.  I had tickets to the Packers but I had to send Chad and his friend instead (boo hoo!).   Once in awhile I get up, do a few things, get stiff and then have to lay back down.  But, the good news is that I'm going to catch up on my blog AND I'm reading an absolutely thrilling book (Wild by Cheryl Strayed).

What's your favorite pumpkin recipe?  What are you up to this Saturday?  I have a bunch of Halloween ideas I'd like to work on with the kids, but we'll see.  My mom's coming up to help me out, and she might totally restrict me to bed (ha!).

Until next time,

Kristin


2 comments:

  1. The pies look awesome!
    Here's to a speedy recovery, let me know if you need anything, I would be happy to help out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Stacey - the pie is super yummy and good. I canned a bunch of pumpkin if you need some. I really hope to be up and running soon - I'm going stir crazy. Luckily my mom is here to help and I'm feeling better every day :)

    ReplyDelete