Pinterest

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Fall's Signature Food: Pumpkin

Pumpkins are the signature food of autumn and who doesn't love pumpkin?  Pumpkin is packed full of fiber, great for our skin (proven to reduce wrinkles), a food that can lower the bad cholesterol, and improve our vision.  And of course they are in season, so it's time to stock up.   Remember to buy local too - I'm annoyed when I see people buying pumpkins at Walmart when they are the same price from your local farmer.    Here's two of my favorite pumpkin recipes:


FIRST RECIPE:

Pumpkin Curry Soup

1/4 cup coconut oil







RECIPE 2

This is my all-time favorite pumpkin dessert, and it's absolutely AMAZING!  The recipe is on my last year's blog right here:  The Best Pumpkin Bunt Cake

But, here's the picture on my Grandma's platter:

Pumpkin Spice Cake



I miss my Grandma this time of year.  Right before she died (2009) we took a trip to the pumpkin patch in Strum - she was so full of life that day.  One of these days, I'm going to look for the pictures of that day.

Good-by, sweet flowers!
Through bright Summer hours
You have filled our hearts with cheer
We shall miss you so,
And yet you must go,
For this is the Fall of the year.


Yes, that's right, I finally ripped out our window boxes and decorated them for Fall.  The window boxes on our house are my favorite (next to the screened in porch) because they make the house feel alive.  Here's what they looked like a month ago:


Window Boxes - August







And now today:


Same Window Box - October


What a great week, first a super fun class reunion, an amazing book club at Hollyberry Inn but I'm SUPER excited to be going to the Badger vs. Gopher game on Saturday with my oldest son Graham, my dad, and my brother.  Go Badgers!!!!

Share my blog, let me know, leave your address, and I have a little something fun to send to you :)  Who doesn't like free stuff?

What's your favorite pumpkin recipe?  I have waaaaay to many to share, most of them fattening.  I'm trying to avoid the unhealthy pumpkin recipes since I'm sidelined from exercising for a bit (varicose vein surgery coming up).

Thanks for reading,

Kristin

P.S. - I'm canning pumpkin tonight - I'll have to let you know how it goes :)


No comments:

Post a Comment