Pinterest

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Washington DC - Part One

Believe it or not, I was actually dreading my trip to DC, because Hayward, Wisconsin is such a magical place in the summer, but my sixth trip to our nation's capitol was by far the best.  Usually I'm in and out for work but this time I had 5 days with a little more free time built into the schedule.

Day one - I spent hours walking around Arlington Cemetry.  What an awesome place!  Next, I walked the National Mall which is even more extraordinary.  The Korean Memorial is one of my faves.


Korean Monument



The sun was perfect for picture taking.  And I have about 100 good pictures - just ask me sometime and I'd love to show them to you if you care or have the time.

Here's the White House garden with Mrs. Obama and a news crew following her. 
Disclaimer, I don't know for sure if it was her - but I like to think so.

The night ended at Whole Foods Market and I fell in love.  I visited 12 times in the time I was there, and I had to take a subway to get there.  It was so worth it.  Great quality food, local goods and produce all at reasonable prices and people waiting forever just to pay.  What a place.

This their organic yogurt selection -  ONLY organic yogurt.  Can you imagine?
I swear, I was in heaven.  I ordered sushi several times via computer and when the chef was done I received a text to pick it up.  They had these computers all over and you could order whatever your hearts desired.  Serious love.
The highlight of Day Two was the meeting of one of my heroes, Temple Grandin.  After I met with her and heard her speak I wrote 5 pages of notes - she had a lot to share.  She's an amazing, eccentric (her words), humble, funny human being.

Me and Temple Grandin


That night, I toured the Holocaust Museum (coolest museum ever), and then Air and Space Museum.  Next, I walked over to Georgetown for supper.  Yum!

Mushroom Tortellini with Roasted Red Peppers - yum!


I was way out of my league in Georgetown.  Lots of amazing homes, beautiful people, and Jaguars.  When I got myself lost, I asked for directions to a bus stop and no one had any idea how or where to take a bus.  Luckily, I figured it out on my own and the bus took me to the subway.

I'm stuck in Chicago (thunder storms), so I'm blogging about my trip. 

Part two is coming since now our plane is experiencing mechanical problems.  I hope I make it home tonight.   Have you ever been to DC?  What do you recommend seeing?  I'm sure there's a lot that I missed.


Click here if you want to read part two - trust me, it's short:  Washington DC - part two
Thanks for reading,

Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment