Pinterest

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Book Update

Since I'm in Washington DC with some time to kill (I'm not inclined to roam the city at night by myself), I felt the urge to write an updated book review since my last book list written in January.

My mom has a crazy passion for books unlike no one else (seriously!), so it didn't surprise me when she set up a "Little Free Library" in her front lawn filled with good books for anyone to grab.




Here's information about the Little Free Library movement.  Gosh, I would love to set one up in my community of Seeley but I have to make sure I have the time to properly care for it.  Isn't that a cool idea?? 

Here's a list of my books in 2012:

  • The Sun Also Rises, Ernest Hemingway  - 1 thumb up
  • The Immortal Times of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot    - 1 thumb up
  • 50 Shades of Gray by E.L. James - 1 thumb up 
  • 50 Shades Darker - 0 thumbs up
  • 50 Shades Freer - negative 0 thumbs up
  • The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes - 2 thumbs up
  • Quiet: The Power of  Introverts, Susan Cain- 2 thumbs up
As I said in my earlier post, I read a non-fiction book in between every fiction book but Quiet is a long book so I picked it up in between each book I read above.  I really, really loved this book mainly because I've spent a lot of my life disliking the fact that I'm on the quiet side or that I'm not good about promoting myself or any accomplishments.  Anyway, I highly recommend this book for an introvert looking for validation or trying to figure out how to better communicate or co-exist with an extrovert.

Currently, I'm reading The Tiger's Wife by Tea Obreht and so far I'm REALLY enjoying it.

My trip to DC has been great!  My favorite hang-out has been the local whole foods market and the white house garden (pictures coming soon).

On the back side of the Washington Monument.  My pictures have been turning out GREAT because of the amazing clouds and the way the sun is hitting.  LOVE IT.


I had two big rookie mistakes though on my first day.  First of all, I reached in my suitcase and pulled out a gun.  Yes, one of my boys put an air soft gun in my suitcase and I really have no idea how or why they would've put it in there.  Zoinks - so glad no one searched my suitcase.  Then, the first time on the subway I hoped on the wrong train (oops), and I wore cute but uncomfortable shoes and then walked close to 10 miles.  Luckily, I was able to go barefoot on the clean DC streets.

More to follow!!


What book are you reading?



Kristin

3 comments:

  1. I love the Little Free Library idea, have been trying to get Joe to build one for the resort. I also give 50 Shades of Grey 1 & 2 a zero, still going to read the 3rd book though. I just started the Hunger Games.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Little Free Library is such a neat idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a free library box on the corner opposite of Owen's school. LOVE IT! Thinking of setting one up in my neighborhood because there are so many people who walk their dogs here and imagine it would be a hit.

    Shoot, darn about 50 Shades of Grey trilogy. I was not going to read it and now I can't stop because I just have to know how it ends even though it pretty much sucks. My current non-fiction books are A New Earth, Soul to Soul Parenting, Birth Order Book and Food Rules. All that non-fiction needs to be balanced with a little trash I guess.

    ReplyDelete