Pinterest

Friday, June 15, 2012

Strawberries for Breakfast

Strawberries are in full bloom and are so tasty this year.  The kids have been eating pint upon pint as I bring them into the house to the point where I'm starting to hide them in the fridge so I can actually make something.


Of course, when strawberries are in season I like to incorporate them into every meal, but they are especially tasty for breakfast.  My favorite is strawberry oatmeal.


Steel Cut Baked Oatmeal
  • 3c. steel cut oats
  • 1c. milk
  • 2t. baking powder
  • 1t. salt
  • 2t. cinnamon
  • 2 eggs, whisked
  • 1/3c. sugar (I used xilotol which is a sweetener from tree bark)
  • 1t. vanilla
  • 1-2c. fruit
In a large bowl, cover the steel cut oats with about an inch of water.  Allow to sit for at least 2 hours.  Drain the excess water.
Mix together the oats and dry ingredients.  Add the eggs, sugar, and vanilla.  Mix well.  Fold in the fruit (add more or less depending on the size of your fruit and how fruit-laden you want your oats).  Pour in a greased 9x13 casserole dish.  Bake at 350 for 50 minutes.
Seriously, this is SUPER, SUPER good and everyone loves to wake up to baked oats and strawberries for breakfast.  YUM!




Strawberry Steel Cut Oats
Another favorite of mine is strawberry smoothies.  I make 2 servings in the blender the night before so I have enough for 2 days.  If I'm going to dirty up the blender, I figure I may as well make a double batch.


Here's my standby recipe:


Strawberry Smoothie:


1 cup kefir (or you could use yogurt)
1 cup strawberries
2 tablespoons ground flaxseed


Blend and enjoy!  Yum - my favorite!!






Last but not least, here's some healthy strawberry muffins that we ALL love.

Here's the recipe:  Strawberry Oatmeal Muffins

Strawberry Oatmeal Muffins



We marked Como Zoo off our 2012 Bucket List, and we had a GREAT time.  We hit the jackpot because it was "community night" so everything was 1/2 price AND the weather was perfect.

Como Park



Greta (with crazy hair) and Owen on the bumper cars



And finally, on the way home we found a GREAT drive-in restaurant in Grantsburg, WI that served healthy, locally grown / made food.  What a score! 

The 3 G's at The Drive In in Grantsburg

Up next, strawberry salads!  What's your favorite strawberry salad?

Thanks for reading,


Kristin

4 comments:

  1. YUM! I need to check out some of these new ingredients. I've never made oats and I'm curious about the xilotol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kristin,
    I work at Bashaw Valley and finally have a chance to check out your recipes! I can't wait to try some of them out! They look wonderful!! Thank-you for sharing and for mentioning Bashaw Valley! I can't wait to show your blog to Steve and Linda. They will love it;~)
    Lynn from BVG

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kristin,

    Came across your blog by chance... and loved your strawberry oatmeal recipe.. I can't wait to try it. Then while scrolling down I saw the picture of your kids at The Drive In... and I work there! How crazy!

    -Tab

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what are the chances Tab?! I bet we've met - we LOVE The Drive In - such great food! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete