Pinterest

Sunday, June 10, 2012

The Radish Challenge

Up until 2 days ago, I would've told you the only vegetable in the world I dislike is the radish.  So when my friend Kristie offered me some of her radish harvest, I thought it would be a challenge to incorporate this healthy vegetable into our diet.  Several times over the past few days I tried to consume a raw radish, but I could not tolerate that bitter zaniness in my mouth.

Radishes from Kristie's Garden


First up, I simply grilled the radishes.  I diced the radishes, added garlic, olive oil, and salt and pepper.  I added some ice cubes on top to "steam" them.  They turned out GREAT!!!

Radishes cooking on the grill


Next I made a PHENOMENAL radish cake!  Instead using oil I used shredded radishes.  You could not taste the radishes and my kids loved it too.

Here's the recipe:  Radish Cake

I skipped the instant cocoa mix because I didn't have any, and I used my bunt pan because I LOVE to display any cake on my Grandma's platter.

Radish Bunt Cake on my Grandma Evelyn's Platter - lupines in her vase

I also made some delicious radish fritters.  My family didn't like the consistency, but I thought they were tasty.
Radish Fritters

Ingredients:

  • 1 pound radish
  • 1 egg
  • 2 Tbsp. flour
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • Vegetable or canola oil for frying

Preparation:

  1. Grate radish into a large bowl.
  2. Add the egg and beat it with a fork. Combine zucchini and egg. Sprinkle mixture with flour and salt and stir to combine thoroughly. Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
  3. Heat a generous layer of oil in a large frying pan or pot over medium-high heat to 350 - 375. A bit of batter dropped into the pan should sizzle immediately.
  4. Put generous spoonfuls of batter into the pan and flatten a bit with the back of the spoon. You should be able to fit about four fritters in the pan at a time. Cook until fritters are browned on one side, flip, and cook until they are brown on both sides. Transfer fritters to a paper towel-lined plate to drain and repeat with remaining batter.  Tastes good cold too!



Radish Fritters



And, last but not least I made braised radishes!  Out of all the recipes, I would probably recommend this one - delicious!

Here's the recipe:  Braised Radishes

Cooking Braised Radishes


Thanks Kristie for inspiring the radish challenge of 2012!!!!

We're moving along with the Summer 2012 Bucket List.  I was fortunate to hit a Brewers game with my friend Denise, and on Monday I'm taking the kids to the Cities to visit my cousin Erinn and her family.  Can't wait!!

Thanks for reading!!

Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment