Pinterest

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Strawberry Salads

My all time favorite strawberry salad comes from my friend Heather Harrington.  You can not go wrong with this DELICIOUS salad with fresh, local, organic berries which I of course have been buying from Bashaw Valley in Shell Lake.  They truly are the best!


Directions: 
Dressing
1/2 Cup Mayo
1/3 Cup Sugar (I used Xylitol)
2 Tbsp. Vinegar
1 Tbsp. Poppy seeds
Mix and drizzle over salad right before serving

Salad

Spinach and romaine lettuce, strawberries, cashews, and thinly sliced sweet onion

Combine and enjoy! As the week went on and I ran out of cashews, I substituted the cashews for walnuts and it was equally as good.  This recipe really is my all time favorite salad recipe.



Since I have plenty of mint growing in my potted herb garden, AND about 2 pounds of goat cheese that I made last week, I decided to combine them with strawberries for a very interesting and delicious salad. 

Combine: 1 tablespoon of mint, 3 cups of strawberries, black pepper, and 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar.  Chill for one hour.  Sprinkle 2 ounces of goat cheese on top and serve.  The strawberries take on a whole new flavor in this recipe, but with these fresh ingredients you can't go wrong.  YUM!!!

Strawberry Goat Cheese Salad - on my Grandma Evelyn's tablecloth


The next salad is a take on my Grandma Evelyn's famous angel food cake desserts.

Directions:

1 box white chocolate pudding
1 angel food cake
1 tub of cool whip
Strawberries / Blueberries

Make the pudding.
Layer angel food cake, pudding, berries three times.
Top with cool whip and add berries before serving.


Grandma Evelyn's Angel Food Trifle - in her glass dish


This weekend we visited St. Peter's Dome as part of our 2012 Bucket List.  We had a GREAT time even though we scampered through mud, skeets, and rain. 


I believe Gus had the most fun on this adventure - anytime he can run, climb, and play in the mud he's happy.  Here he's pulling the kids up the trail.

Gus pulling the kids up the trail





Here's a video of them trying to make it up to St. Peter's Dome.




And, this picture just about sums it up. 

Three happy kids equals one happy mom

Happy Father's Day!  Chad requested shish kabobs on the grill for his Father's Day meal.  What are you making?

Thanks for reading,

Kristin

2 comments:

  1. Great pictures! Looks like a fun time with tasty food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that strawberry salad. I use carmalized pecans in mine. YUM! You should keep linking up to your bucket list. I am going to link up to it in my Como post.

    ReplyDelete