Pinterest

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Book Geek

I have a crazy, passion for books and there's a few fantastic books I must recommend for your 2012 winter reading pleasure.  When my last book club experienced difficulties getting together, I found myself "bookless" for 6 months and I was all out of sorts - I'll never go back to that.    Now I have a new book club, Read Book Society, in full swing and my old book club, Reading Diva's, is trying to resurrect so I have plenty of books to read.    I alternate between a fiction book and then a self growth book, because I figure I'm on this planet to evolve and so, what the heck, I try. 

Greta's Artwork - perfect for this week's blog

Since the focus of my life has been "cooking in the moment", how about "living in the moment," duh, right?
My most recommended "self-growth" book for 2012 is Awakening to Your Life's Purpose, but, first I start with a story that lead to me to this book.  December 23rd, I went skiing with some of my Ski and Tea sisters and I decided to go for a challenging 10K with 2 skiers I love and really admire, but let's just say that I was huffing and puffing and could not keep up.  I wish I could tell you I was just happy to be out, but instead my ego took over and I left making excuses and feeling discouraged.  Then, the family proceeded to drive to Osseo for Christmas.  I was driving and the family was giving me a hard time because I drive slow when the roads are snowy ("hurry up mom").   We stopped to eat in Rice Lake, and my husband started giving me a hard time because I was checking the weather on my phone, ("how rude, you need to put your phone down," etc.).  Normally, this should not have been a big deal, but I lost my temper in the restaurant and raised my voice and I never lose my cool.  First off, Chad was right, it was rude of me to get be looking at my phone.  Secondly, talk about over-reacting - wow!  I got to my parents, and saw the book that significantly impacted my life in 2008 "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle and then realized, "yes, my current misery is related to my inability to connect to the present moment and my defensive ego is in overdrive."    I then purchased his book Awakening Your Life's Purpose and since reading it have started feeling so incredibly happy, peaceful and blessed again.  I really needed to be reminded to put my ego and crazy thoughts at rest and live in the now.  When I find myself connected to the present moment, I feel happiness to my core:  mainly because I'm not worried about the mistakes of yesterday, worried about what will happen in the future, and my head is not swimming with negative thoughts.  And, what a way to live.  If know me and you saw me a week before Christmas compared to now, I guarantee you would see a difference in me.  So if you want to be truly happy, I recommend running out to read his books.  Wow!




Rhonda Bryne also really put into words something I'd known and felt since childhood, but her book The Secret really confirmed it and improved my ability to make the Law of Attraction work for me.  She has a new book out called The Power.  I purchased it at Redberry Books in Cable (my favorite book store) and I LOVE it.  It's a nice refresher.   Each goal, wish or vision that I've set for myself I've been able to achieve.  It amazes me every time.  It reminds me again of The Power within us!

Some of my newest dreams include skiing the Norwegian Birkebeiner, moving to a house on a lake, bringing the family on a week long WARM vacation, participating in a triathlon, going to a Super Bowl, and making plastic bags illegal, yup, that's all.    Guess what though, based on the results of my previous "law of attraction" work, I know I will be able to make my dreams come true.  How cool is that? 




As for my recent fiction picks, I LOVED Dovekeepers by Alice Hoffman.  It's a book based on the Roman take-overs of the Jews in ancient times.  What a GREAT story based on historical fiction.



Last but not least, the book The Paris Wife by Paula McClaine was a wonderful book about Ernest Hemingway's first wife.  I learned a lot about Hemingway!  After the kids go to bed tonight I'm going to watch "Midnight in Paris" which is a Woody Allen movie based on Hemingway's life during his "Paris years".



And since this is a blog about cooking, I must share my share my favorite cookbook of all time, 30 Minutes Meals for 2, 4, 6 or 8  by Rachel Ray. 





Now that is a well loved cookbook!

This weekend I'm starting sprouts in my kitchen and I'm looking forward to the Packer playoff game on Sunday.

Happy Reading,

Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment