Pinterest

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Black Bean Bonanza

Black Beans Bonanza!          

I have never met anything with black beans that I don't like.   I will share with you four of my favorite black bean recipes:  black bean soup, black bean burgers, black bean salsa, and black bean brownies.  Yes, you read that right, black bean brownies.

Black bean soup is one of my favorites in the winter.  This soup is yummy, comforting goodness that fills me up and leaves me feeling oh-so-good.  If I were to make one recipe in this black bean treatise, I'd choose this one.  Yum, yum.

Here's the link to the black bean soup:  The Best Black Bean Soup

The beginnings of Black Bean Soup


Here I am sauteing the onion, garlic, carrots and jalapenos in my new fry pan.  My Aunt Paula bought me the soup pot shown behind the fry pan which I used to simmer the soup on our wood stove.  I love the soup pot since most of the winter I have some sort of soup simmering on the wood stove.  Love it!
The one thing I miss since becoming a vegetarian 4 1/2 years ago, is a good burger on the grill.  I’ve experimented with Bocca burgers and they are o.k., but black bean burgers are so good that I do not even miss eating regular beef burgers with the rest of the family.  I’m so grateful for our new fancy schmancy grill that we received from Chad’s parents for Christmas.  Works like a charm!  Here's the recipe:  Black Bean Veggie Burgers


Black bean burgers for supper


 Here's a GREAT winter salsa that I LOVE because I can use my fresh corn from this Fall's harvest.

Corn and black bean salsa
Ingredients:
2 cups freshly shucked sweet corn (about 4 cobs) or 2 cups frozen
A 15-ounce can of black beans, drained or 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans, drained
1/4 small red onion, diced (about 1/4 cup)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 jalapenos, seeds and stems removed, diced
1/2 small red bell pepper, seeds and stems removed, diced (about 1/4 cup)
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons lime juice
Salt and cayenne to taste

Method:
Mix together the corn, black beans, red onion, garlic, jalapeno, red bell pepper, cilantro and cumin. Stir in the olive oil and lime juice. Add salt and cayenne to taste, and adjust seasonings.

Allow to chill for at least 30 minutes.



Black Bean Salsa


Last but not least, I will share my black bean brownie recipe.  Yes, these are a real great treat and are considered gluten-free because the beans are the substitute for flour!  Be open-minded and give it a try!  Here's the link:  Black Bean Brownies


Black Bean Brownies


I am LOVING January in Wisconsin!  Once the days start getting lighter and I have time to get out and ski and snowshoe, I turn the corner from my December slump (happens every year).   With peace and love, Kristin :)

No comments:

Post a Comment