Pinterest

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Three Simple Soups

Soup is a staple in our household from November to March.  Every weekend you will find a soup simmering on our woodstove.    I have about 12 different soup recipes that I hold close to my heart, but for the purpose of this blog I decided to try 3 new soup recipes.  Initially I was going to blog about my top 3 soup recipes, but I really can't narrow it down to even 6, so I'll have to do some more contemplating or maybe I'll take a family poll.

Green Bean Soup was the first on the list.  I was excited to try it because I've been looking for ways to use up some of my summer produce occupying my freezer.  One of my favorite combinations is garlic, onion, red pepper, and vegetable broth.  I swear, you could add almost anything to that combination and it would be good.  Anyway, this has that same base and it was AWESOME!  I made it spicy just for me, and ate it for my work lunches all week.  Did I ever tell you the story about my long-time staff who told me I needed to lay off the garlic?  After that uncomfortable conversation I started eating my super garlicy meals on the weekends.

I digress.  The soup was awesome!

INGREDIENTS:

2 T. EVOO
3 garlic cloves
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 medium onion
2 carrots
2 celery ribs
1 small zucchini
2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
1 15 ounces can tomato sauce
1 can white beans (I used cannelli)
1 1/2 cups green beans
salt and pepper
Grated Parmigiana-Reggiano cheese

Heat EVOO to a large pot.  Add garlic and red pepper flakes, stir then add onions, carrots celery, and zucchini.  Cook for 10 minutes then add the stock, tomatoes, tomato sauce, and both kinds of beans.  Bring the soup to a boil.  Simmer for 5 minutes.  Turn off the heat and add grated cheese on top.  Yum!
Green Bean Soup


I have never made Cheesy Broccoli Soup until this weekend.    The caloric count of this soup is 280 calories per cup.  You've been warned.  And, let me tell you - this soup is OUT OF THIS WORLD good.  I loved it as did everyone else.  This is going to be my new recipe to bring to those who need a meal (you know sick, just had a baby, job loss, which I vow to do more of this year.)

INGREDIENTS:

Melt 4 T butter and sweat:
1 cup onion
1/2 cup carrot
1/2 cup celery

Stir in and add:
2 T flour
4 cups chicken or vegetable broth

Add:
4 cups shredded cheese (I used cheddar)
6 cups blanched broccoli
1/4 tsp cayenne
Salt and pepper to taste

Sweat onion, carrot and celery covered for 3 minutes.  Stir in flour to coat vegetables and cook for 1 minute.  Slowly add broth and temperature until you have a rolling boil.  Cook for 5 minutes, reduce heat.  Add cheese. Simmer soup for 3 minutes (do not boil) add blanched broccoli.  Season with cayenne, salt and pepper. 


Cheesy Broccoli Soup cooking on the woodstove



Last but not least, I tried this corn tortilla soup.  Yummy! Here's the link:  Corn and Salsa Tortilla Soup




I left the cooked peppers on the side so that the kids could eat this soup.   We plan our meals out for the week (everyone gets a day of the week) and someone invariably picks tacos, so this week we had Mexican Soup in addition to taco's.  I love taco night too, because it's so quick and easy and everyone loves them.  It's hard (maybe impossible) to 100%  satisfy a family of 5, let me tell you.

There you go, 3 new soups I have added my list.  What's your favorite soup recipe?
Today I'm looking forward to a ski on Hospital Trail and then to the Para-Olympics up in Cable.

Peace and Love,

Kristin

1 comment:

  1. I made a really delicious Chicken and Wild Rice soup for Christmas this year. (Chicken is of course optional) But the key ingredients were leeks, rosemary and thyme.

    ReplyDelete