Pinterest

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Sprouts, Salads, and Dressings

Recently, I watched "Forks Over Knives" on Netflix, and it got me thinking that eating raw, fresh, local vegetables will allow me to live a long, healthy life.  But, let's face it, it's 15 below today and our growing season is almost hard to imagine.  I received a sprouting jar and sprouting seeds from my friend Debi Defoe-Greene and I felt inspired to give it a try!  Greta has the sunniest room in the house, so I have been growing them in her room and on Thursday she came out of her bedroom crying.  When I asked her what was wrong she told me about a "yucky, gross jar" - apparently my jar of sprouts freaked her out.  When I explained my experiment to Graham he said, "only you mom, only you."  But guess what, my kids love them.  Greta ate 2 bowls of salad for breakfast this morning (that's my girl).



In order to sprout, you will need seeds and a jar with a lid containing holes.  You can find these supplies at a health food store.  Here's some more detailed video instructions:  Cute Couple Demonstrating How to Grow Sprouts  After 4 days of rinsing sprouts you have a whole jar full of sprouts packed full of vitamin C.  Sprouts are great in a pita pocket or on a salad.

Sprouts and Greens - the fabric is actually a dress I bought in NYC this summer:)


Easy, delicious, cheap and HEALTHY.  Yum!

Back in 2008 I went on a vegan cleanse for 3 weeks, I lost 8 pounds and never felt so energetic and AMAZING.  But, after 3 weeks I was also HUNGRY and so I went back to eating dairy but never ate meat again (I was never really into meat to begin with so it was easy).   After I'm done with this crazy training for the Birkebeiner ski race, I'm going to do another cleanse because it's so healthy and makes a person feel like a million bucks.

Now, let me give you my opinion on lettuce salads.  The organic salad mixes that are available at every store (yes, even Walmart) taste so amazing, contain the dark leafy greens that contain all vitamin A and C as well as fiber, calcium, iron and are not covered in crazy chemicals which raise your estrogen and make you super hungry (aka fat).   Recently we went to a nicer supper club for my oldest son's birthday and I ordered a "not-so-cheap" salad.  Forgive me, now I'm going to sound like a food snob.  The salad consisted of the white / light green lettuce you find in the cheap bags, at least 1 cup of bleu cheese (1 ounce is a serving) and 1 1/2 cups of walnuts (again 1 ounce is a serving).   Yuck.   Not everyone is aware of the fact that salads should be dark green and should not have taken a bath in pesticides.  Yes, the quality is better in the organic salads but the taste difference alone will blow you away.  Totally.

Dressing Mixer, Pasta Jar, Balsamic Vinegar and my sprouting jar


Now how cool is this, I was shopping at the Thrift Shoppe this week and I found this cool, antique pasta holder AND this awesome salad dressing mixer.  The salad dressing container has recipes for 4 different kinds of dressing which means I might not ever buy dressing again.   Most dressings are made with crap, but I like the fact that with my new mixer I can whip up a dressing made with olive oil, garlic, spices, etc.



Even the kids can help make our salad dressings

Here's my favorite Italian Dressing:

1 cup Olive Oil
1/2 cup white wine or balsamic vinegar
1 T sugar
2 pressed garlic cloves
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp basil
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp salt


Talk about easy, economical, healthy!  I'm so excited with my new find.



Gus mixing the dressing

My kids were in a car accident last weekend and it has had me totally looking at life in a whole new way.  I was at gymnastics with Greta last night and I teared up 3 times with both joy in watching her perform and the realization that she had one close call.   I'm convinced that there was an angel in the car protecting them. 
This quote seems perfect for this moment: 



I better get skiing!  The Birkie is coming up :)

Kristin

1 comment:

  1. Keep those kids close. xo I'll give you one of my fav. dressing recipes when I get back. I also really liked the one my mom made for our extended Christmas. ... oh, and sprouts? Yuck. Like eating hair. Bleh. But dark, leafy organic greens? Mmm

    ReplyDelete