Pinterest

Sunday, July 22, 2012

The Summer Exercise Routine

My summer workout looks a whole lot different than my 2012 winter workout schedule.
And, as I said in my winter blog, I love to partner up with friends to workout, sign up for races so I push myself, and spend time outdoors connecting with nature.  This summer I signed up for the Firehouse 50, the Women's Cities Half Marathon, and the Birkie Trail 1/2 Marathon - similar to last year. 

My Firehouse Fifty Buddies


Here's this weeks workout schedule:

Wednesday:  7 mile run around the Seeley Pass / let me tell you, this is a SUPER hill challenge - that night I rode my bike 10 miles because the kids were gone and I could

Thursday:  Rest

Friday:  Ski and Tea Triathlon (swim, bike, run)

Saturday:  Rest

Sunday (today):  50 mile bike ride on the hilly Firehouse Drummond course. 

Monday:  5 mile run

Tuesday:  15 mile bike ride

Wednesday:  12 mile run along the hilly Birkie trail (Fish Hatchery to Double 00)

Seriously, before riding 50 miles today I was totally dreading it.  I thought, "please let me get a flat tire, run out of gas, get sick, anything so I don't have to do it" but I'm in training for the Firehouse 50 bike race and I can't let my team mates down.    Then while riding I got this huge rush of endorphins and I thought, "I love biking, being outside, and I love my team" and of course afterwards I was proud of my accomplishment, I felt physically great, and I had a lot of love and energy left over for my family.   For me, that's motiviation enough to keep plugging along towards my fitness goals.

I purchased a new pair of Brooks minimalist shoes this Spring and I can not stop RAVING about them.  Last year I had aches in pains in my calves, hips and knees and this year I am 100 % pain free.  Trust me, they are worth the price - love them.


Best. Shoes. Ever. 
Brooks TrueCadence Running Shoe


There's been many articles published lately about how bad goo, Gatorade (and the like), and energy blocks are for your average athlete and many professional athletes are shunning these products.  Right now, I'm loving the Sharkie's Organic Natural energy, but my goal is to figure out a way to refuel and add electrolytes with real food.  More to come on that subject.  But, here's an interesting article about the problem:  Nutrition Mistakes Athletes Make

On a different note, today I grilled some beets and they were FABULOUS:

Grilled Beets

Peel 3 beets and slice thin.  Marinade the beets for 20 minutes in balsamic vinegar, rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper.   Add to foil and grill for 20 minutes or until tender.  Delicious!!

Grilled Beets
What's your favorite summertime work-out?
Thanks for reading!
Kristin

2 comments:

  1. Love those shoes too! beets not so much. You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are enjoying your new Brooks!

    ReplyDelete