Pinterest

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Kohlrabi, Bok Choy, and a Garden Update

One thing I LOVE about belonging to the Community Shared Agriculture (CSA) program is that I'm forced to try vegetables I normally wouldn't try.  This week my CSA bag was filled with lots of greens, bok-choy, and kohlrabi.  Both bok-choy and kohlrabi are new to me, so I considered it my personal challenge to find a way to make them good enough for the kids to eat.

This kohlrabi recipe is very good, but then again almost any vegetable cooked on the grill is pretty delicious.

Grilled Kohlrabi

Cut kohlrabi in 1/4 inch pieces (leaves and all).  Drizzle with olive oil and a little salt and grill for 10 minutes at 300.    Sprinkle fresh parmesan cheese on top.

DELISH!


Grilled Kohlabi - my grandma's vase and tablecloth


Next I made a stir-fry with bok-choy. 

Bok-choy stir fry

4 cloves of garlic
2 tablespoons of ginger
1 bok choy
1 chicken breast (optional)
1 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
Saute garlic and ginger in olive oil for a few minutes.  Add bok choy and cook until the leaves are reduced down (about 7 minutes).  Add broth if it gets dry.  Serve on top of quinoa - add soy for seasoning.  This was a little blah so I added crushed red pepper to give it some spice.
Bok Choy Stir Fry

We've also been eating lots of greens, and I just picked up 10 pounds of local organic blueberries and raspberries and they are DELICIOUS!

Our garden has never looked better.  You would not believe our tomatoes, broccoli, cucumbers, beans and zucchini - wowser.

Here's Greta from this morning eating a cherry tomato:

Greta at the garden - we were out biking (hence the helmut)




My tomato plants are happy


To view the garden one month earlier, click here:  Garden 2012

If you have a garden, how's it go doing?

Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment