Pinterest

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Snacks in Mugs

This week I've been experimenting with delicious, one serving snacks made in minutes with every day ingredients.

FLAXSEED MUFFIN IN A MUG

Spray a mug with cooking spray and microwave 1 tsp. of butter until melted (15seconds for me)
After melted mix in:

1/4 cup flaxseed
1 egg
2 packets of steevia (or you could use sugar / splenda but that would not be as healthy)
2 tsp. of baking powder
1 tsp. of cinnamon

Microwave for 1 minute (times may vary) and out comes an awesome tasting, 230 calorie, warm, healthy muffin.  You can also add walnuts to this recipe, but flaxseed has some healthy fat in it already, so I don't think it needs it.


Flaxseed Muffin - on my Grandma's tablecloth, on her dishes, with her butter dish in the background


Next up, I made this delicious apple pie in a mug recipe.  I wasn't sure I'd like it because I don't particularly like red hots, but trust me this is GREAT!  I can't wait to try this again when apples are in season.

APPLE PIE IN A MUG

1 braeburn or Fuji apple cored and cut in 1/4 inch pieces
15 red hots
1 graham cracker

Add apples and red hots to a mug and microwave for 2 minutes.  Stir well and microwave for another minutes.  Let stand for 10 minutes, add graham crackers and ENJOY this guilt-free apple pie in a mug (only 140 calories)!


Apple Pie in my Grandma's Dishes




And finally, here's a delicious healthy blueberry muffin in a mug:

Ingredients:

4 T. whole wheat flour (I've had good luck with Bob's Red Mill lately)
3 packets of steevia (or Splenda / sugar)
2 T. brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 T. blueberries
7 T. of milk - or enough milk until it looks like cake batter

Microwave on high for 2 - 3 minutes.   Again, another winner and and only 200 calories compared with a  500 calorie muffin from a coffee shop.


Blueberry Muffin in my Grandma's Mug


I LOVE these mug recipes because they are a quick, warm, satisfying, healthy snack or breakfast.

Now, I'm off with 10 little 7 year old children for a birthday party for my little Gus. Here's a picture I took of him on Friday (his actual birthday).


Happy Birthday Gus - Gus said, "This is the best day of my life."  Awwww


Happy April Fool's Day!

Kristin

1 comment: