Pinterest

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Amazing Avocado

Avocados are rich in vitamins A, C, and E and are full of other nutrients like potassium.  They contain folate, monosaturated fats and antioxidants.  Regular consumption of avocados helps us in many ways like preventing different types of cancer, boosting the immune system, enhancing vision, and preventing bad breath.  That's one powerful fruit.  I like avocado because it's a healthy fat which tastes great and fills you up.  This week I've experimented with a few different oddball recipes, some great and some mediocre.

To start with, I of course made an awesome salad with avocado. 

Avocado Lettuce Salad


Next up I made a delicious chocolate avocado milkshake.  LOVED this!!

Ingredients:
1/2 and avocado
2T. of cocoa powder
splash of vanilla
2 packets of stevia
1 1/2 cup milk (I used soy milk), and a handful of ice cubes.


Avocado Chocolate Shake




Not only is this DELICIOUS, it's super healthy and satisfying too.  Super good!!!


For dessert one night, I made an avocado mousse.  While I thought this was good, I also found it to be a little too rich for me, and I'm one of those that rarely finds anything too rich or too sweet.    Here's the recipe:  Chocolate Avocado Mousse


Avocado Mousse - I stuck these on our deck in the SNOW from April 16

For breakfast one day I made a delicious Blueberry Avocado Smoothie - YUM!!!

INGREDIENTS

1/2 avocado
1 cup blueberries
1 cup greek yogurt
2 packets steevia
couple ice cubes
Blend and enjoy!  This was an AWESOME way to start the day.  Loved it!!


Blueberry Avocado Smoothie


And, here's a perfect, healthy substitute for mayo:

1/2 cup avocado
1/2 cup greek plain yogurt

This is also super healthy and super good!  I added this to the top of my black bean burger and it was OUT OF THIS WORLD!  Too bad I forgot to take a picture!

Avocado is full of the good fats, but since it does contain a lot of fat I allow myself 1/2 an avocado at a time.  To keep the an avocado fresh after it's been cut, keep the inside nut with the fruit.  When I make salsa in the summer with avocado I keep the large nut in the salsa so the avocado doesn't brown.

What's your favorite avocado recipe?

Thanks for reading,

Kristin

1 comment:

  1. This is so funny, because I actually made my favorite avocado salad last night. I think I shared it with you before: http://www.fortheloveofcooking.net/2009/07/grilled-corn-avocado-and-tomato-salad.html

    I cannot wait to try your salad. That looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete