Pinterest

Friday, April 6, 2012

Easter Treats

Easter is up there as one of my favorite holidays.  My parents always host a wonderfully, huge Easter egg hunt for the kids on their property after church and it's a BLAST for everyone :)

But, we started this week by dying Easter eggs.  Instead of buying a kit, we made our own dye and of course we used farm fresh eggs.
  • Food Coloring
  • 4 ounces white vinegar
  • 2 ounces water
Mix and dye the hard boiled eggs.  We decorated ours with glitter (first roll in glue).


Easter Eggs, Complete

Easter eggs, done.  Farm fresh eggs, of course


With the dyed eggs, I made my Grandma Evelyn's famous hard boiled eggs.  We all love hard boiled eggs but my Grandma's were the best and they always remind me of her.


My Grandma Evelyn's Deviled Eggs!  Oh, I miss her today!!


Grandma Evelyn's Deviled Eggs

Hard boiled eggs
Miracle Whip (not may)
Mustard
Finely chopped onion

Cut eggs and half and scoop out yolks.  Add Miracle Whip and a little mustard and onion.  Sprinkle with paprika.  Yes, this recipe is a little vague, but you get my Grandma's idea.

None of this is healthy - but it's EASTER!  Here's the bunny cake that I insist on making every year with the kids.   It's basically two white cakes cooked in round pans.  Once the cake is cooled cut two ears out of one of the round cakes for the bunny ears and what remains is the bow tie.   Decorate with whip cream, licorice, coconut, and jelly beans.  Adorable, right?


Easter Bunny Cake

And last but not least, I made this cute popcorn cake.  This cake is FULL of the super bad stuff, but it tasted pretty good and it looked adorable.  I actually made this last weekend for Gus' birthday cake.

POPCORN CAKE

2 cups of popcorn
1 bag of small marshmallows
2 cups of M and M's
1 stick of butter
1 1/2 cup pretzels

Mix popcorn, M and M's and pretzels in a bowl.
Melt butter and add marshmallows until the marshmallows are melted.  Mix together and add into any pan.  I used a bunt pan and it turned out pretty cute.


Popcorn Cake


And finally, we made some adorable rice krispie eggs.  We made the typical rice krispie treat recipe off the box, formed them into eggs (wait until they cool so they don't stick to your hands) and then squish in some jelly beans.  We loved making these, and giving them out as treats to our friends.



Rice Krispie Egg Treats
What's your favorite  Easter recipe?


Happy Easter!

2 comments:

  1. Ha! Why is Greta growling in the rice krispie pic? Too funny. Here's my fav. recipe. Haven't been able to make it yet because we've had an unexpected house guest this weekend, but hopefully tonight! Mini Egg Bird Nests. http://www.piebirds.org/2012/04/birds-nest-cookies.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound like yummy Easter treats! Deviled eggs are my favorite so my mom makes sure we have them or all family gatherings throughout the year.

    ReplyDelete