Pinterest

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Summer Soups

This week I made four summer soups using locally available ingredients - DELISH!!!

The MOST delicious summer soup recipe I made this week was the traditional gazpacho soup.


Gazpacho Soup


Click on the link above for the soup recipe.   I used extra basil in my soup because my running friend Sue shared some of her stock, and I skipped the hard boiled egg, because it's hot in the house and I'm kinda' lazy.

I set up this card table today so the kids could work on puzzles since it's a rainy day.  I started to move the puzzle pieces, but I thought it was kind of fitting.   The soup is also photographed in my Grandma's fun bubble dishes.


Next up, I made a delicious Cucumber Avocado Soup





Cucumber Avocado Soup


  • 1T. olive oil
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 quarter of a lemon, squeezed
  • 1 large cucumber, sliced thinly
  • 1c. water
  • 1/2t. salt
  • pinch cayenne
  • 1 avocado
  • 1/2c. skim milk
In a saucepan, saute the onion and garlic over medium high heat until soft.  Add the lemon juice and cucumber.  Saute for 4 more minutes.  Add the water, salt, and cayenne.  Bring the mixture to a boil and simmer for 8-10 minutes, or until the cucumbers are soft.  Add the avocado.  Using an immersion blender, puree the soup til smooth.  Stir in the milk over low heat until heated through.  Add to soup.  Chill for 1 hour.  Eat cold.  Serves 2.

 I garnished it with a mystery vegetable that I received from the CSA.  It's delicious, but I have NO idea what it is. 

I made a delicious Watermelon Gazpacho Soup for breakfast.  My presentation isn't great, but this was the best I could do.  The soup was AWESOME!!!





Watermelon Gazpacho Soup


Click on the link above for the recipe.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE beets, so I was excited to try Borscht (Beet Soup).  Unfortunately, I declare it an EPIC fail.  It tasted like beet water.  At least it looks pretty in my Grandma's bubble dishes and on my Aunt Lori's tablecloth.


Borscht Fail

If anyone has a good Borscht recipe, I'd love to try it again.

Blueberries will be up next (again)!  We LOVE blueberries!!

Until next time,

Kristin







No comments:

Post a Comment