Pinterest

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Cucumbers in Season

We've had great success with the one cucumber plant in our garden.  So far we've harvested 12 cucumbers and we have at least 12 more that we'll be able to eat.  Not bad for a $1.49 cucumber plant from the Co-op.  Anyway, first I made a refreshing Cucumber Blueberry Smoothie which I consumed before my long run on Wednesday (nearly 9 miles on the Birkie trail with some awesome women).  I felt great before, during, and after - it must be my smoothie recipe!


Cucumber Blueberry Smoothie

So, I blended a 1/2 a cucumber (peeled and seeded) with a cup of frozen blueberries with a cup of Greek yogurt and 2 tablespoons of flaxseed.  I served up the smoothies in my Grandma's parfait glasses.  I found these phlox (sic) on the side of the road and added them to my Grandma's vase. 

Cucumber Salad

Click on the link for this great Cucumber Salad that we were able to enjoy in our screened in porch.  I picked these Black Eyed Susans along our road-side. These are my moms favorite flowers (they ALWAYS remind me of her).

My mom always has great summer salads on hand when we visit Osseo.  Here's her almost famous Cucumber Summer Salad.


Peggy Lundbergs Cucumber Summer Salad

Summer Salad
2 boxes (7 oz. each) ring macaroni
1 Cup celery, chopped
1 Cup onion ,chopped
2 Cups cucumber, chopped (if large cukes, remove seeds with spoon first)
2 Cups carrots, shredded
Dressing
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. nutmet
1 1/2 Cup Miracle Whip
1 1/2 Cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/2 Cup vinegar
Mix dressing together (stir/shake well). Pour over salad mixture and mix well,
Refrigerate over night. Garnish with nutmes and green onions.
Makes alot.

Next I made an awesome Cucumber Summer soup. 

Cucumber Avocado Soup
 
  • 1T. olive oil
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 quarter of a lemon, squeezed
  • 1 large cucumber, sliced thinly
  • 1c. water
  • 1/2t. salt
  • pinch cayenne
  • 1 avocado
  • 1/2c. skim milk

Blend, chill and serve!

Last but not least, I made these fun cucumber sandwiches.  This is all that's left after the dog helped himself to a snack.


Cucumber Sandwiches

Initially, I set the sandwiches out in our screened in porch so I could take a picture, but our dog ate most of them, so I had to get creative and add my Grandma's vase and flowers to make it look like I had a few.  Dang dog.  The sandwiches were great!!!

We've had a busy but fun week in the Frane household.  We went back up to Duluth and rode the train to Lester Park.




Then we hiked the Enger Lighthouse trails - fun, fun!




Well, I'm off to take the boy below to soccer.  Shhhhhhhh, don't tell anyone but I'm the Team Soccer Mom.




Until next time,

Kristin





2 comments:

  1. What? Soccer Mom? P.S. Really REALLY cute photo of Gus there at the end. He suddenly looks older.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I just signed up to be the Team Soccer Mom because I looked around and I was the only one without a baby or toddler - so I figure it's my turn. I'm enjoying it though (although it tests my organizational skills).

    ReplyDelete