Pinterest

Monday, August 29, 2011

Garden Fresh Tomatoes - Can't Beat Them

I've been dreaming of garden fresh tomatoes since the LAST harvest.  This year I planted 40 of my own heirloom tomato plants.  My friend Susan Buchman got me started with some really unique tomatoes including some that are purple, yellow, shaped like bell peppers, skinny and super fat.  The kids and I have had a blast watching them develop.  I expect about 75 tomatoes by the time I'm done, but I was hoping for about 150.  I did get a mild case of blight, so I do not expect the second round of tomatoes.  My friend Sooz and Kristy also have blight on their tomatoes, so we are going to purchase 60 pounds of tomatoes to pressure can towards the end of September (more on that I'm sure).

This weekend when I was at my Aunt Paula's I made her bruschetta with the ingredients from my garden.  This recipe is FANTASTIC if I do say so myself.


PAULA'S BRUSCHETTA

10 Roma Tomatoes
1 cup of basil, chopped
6 cloves of garlic
3 Tablespoons of Worchestire sauce
5 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
1 loaf of crusty bread

Drizzle the bread with olive oil and broil for about 4 minutes or until brown.  After they are cool enough to touch, rub with garlic.  Broil the other side of the bread and repeat.  Serve at room temperature.
Next up, I made this yummy Tomato Corn Salad.  Gus planted sweet corn in a pot in April, and then planted them in our garden so we have our own sweet corn this year too.  In about a week, my kids and I will be picking corn and processing for the winter months with my friend Debi.  Pictures and information to come!

Here's the Salad:


Tomato Corn Salad


Click on the link for the recipe!

Tomato Corn Salad


Next up, I made another version of the Tomato, Basil, Mozzarella Salad.  This is the most delicious and refreshing salad ever.  And it's sooooo easy.  I LOVE it!








Tomato, Basil, Mozzarella Salad

And, who doesn't love a good gazpacho soup.  I LOVE this recipe.  This is photographed in my Grandma's dishes.  My kids were putting together a puzzle.



Ingredients

  • 6 ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
  • 1 purple onion, finely chopped
  • 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, chopped
  • 1 sweet red bell pepper (or green) seeded and chopped
  • 2 stalks celery, chopped
  • 1-2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
  • 2 Tbsp chopped fresh chives
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
  • Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
  • 6 or more drops of Tabasco sauce to taste
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 4 cups tomato juice

Method

Combine all ingredients. Blend slightly, to desired consistency. Place in non-metal, non-reactive storage container, cover tightly and refrigerate overnight, allowing flavors to blend.


Last but not least, I must disclose the truth about my salsa.  My family loves my salsa and I bet I make 25 to 30 batches while the tomatoes are in season, but I use a salsa seasoning mix from Marketplace and add it to 5 tomatoes, 1/2 cup of cilantro, 1 onion, and 4 cloves of garlic.  Sometimes I'll add avocado if I can find a good one.  It's so fresh, simple, and delicious:







We had an awesome weekend on Alder Lake with my family.  We pontooned, kayaked, and ate plenty.  The weather was perfect.

Here's Greta on the boat:








Thanks Aunt Paula and Uncle Rick for the great time!!

Until next time,

Kristin

1 comment:

  1. Try this recipe. You may never eat another food again after eating this. P.S. I will send pics. ASAP. LOVED seeing you all this weekend. xoxo
    http://fortheloveofcooking-recipes.blogspot.com/2009/07/grilled-corn-avocado-and-tomato-salad.html

    ReplyDelete