Pinterest

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Purple Cauliflower, Zucchini Hummus and More!!

Today at work my friend, Kerry Rothgeb, gave me an AWESOME purple cauliflower and she told me that she read about zucchini hummus.  I went right home and whipped up some zucchini hummus (oh my!) and served it with the purple cauliflower in my Grandma Evelyn's dishes.  OMG.....what a GREAT recipe. 

Zucchini Hummus



I found this tablecloth at the Ventures Thrift Shoppe in Spooner and I had to get it because it reminded me of my Grandma. 

As I whipped this up in minutes for supper, I was pretty sure my Grandma would not like hummus (a little too garlicky for her), but if you like hummus, I'd HIGHLY recommend this recipe.  I used chick peas instead of pinto beans and I used soy sauce instead of tahini.

Next up I made these great Zucchini Boats!



Zucchini Boats served in my Grandma's relish tray

Talk about FANTASTIC!!!!  Basically you create boats out of the boiled zucchini and add your favorite toppings and then grill.  Oh my, this is soooooooo great!!!

Here's the recipe:   Grilled Zucchini Boats


Last but not least, I made the ever-delicious and very simple tomato, basil, mozzarella salad.  Wow, with my garden-fresh tomatoes and basil, this recipe can not be beat. 




So, basically I layered tomatoes, basil, fresh mozzarella - drizzled it with olive oil and salt and pepper.  Another blue ribbon winner - so refreshing and good!!!!!




I have been running each week with this great group of women (where I learn so much each week), but yesterday Patrice was able to join us.  After our awesome humid run on the Makwa trail, she opened up her trunk to this amazing breakfast:  home-made goat greek yogurt, home-made granola and blueberries.  The night before I put my steel-cut oats in the crock pot, but woke up to quinoa instead (I added the wrong dry ingredients to the pot).  Because I screwed up my own breakfast, this was a very wonderful surprise.

Here' the picture:


Goat-milk-greek-yogurt, home-made granola and berries after a run



We spent an awesome day at Wilderness Walk not feeding ourselves, but feeding the animals.


Greta feeding a fawn at Wilderness Walk

Now we are preparing for the Packer game on Friday night.  I'm nervous because we lose Gus at EVERY family outing (I wish I were exaggerating).  We even lost him today at Wilderness Walk.

Anyway, I'm looking for tailgating ideas - any thoughts?  I did find a Packer tablecloth, so I have a start.

Next up:  beets and potatoes.

Kristin








1 comment:

  1. Kristin! SO glad you liked the cauliflower and just knew you would love another use for zucchini!! Hummus, who would've thought??!! Of course I am extremely jealous of the goat greek yogurt!!! I am going to try the zucchini boats this weekend!! LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!! :)

    Kerry

    ReplyDelete