Pinterest

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Jalapeno Poppers, Refrigerator Pickles, Squash Blossom Soup, and Blackberry Pie...Oh My!!

We've had a WIDE variety of produce available to us this week, and we expect that to continue through September.  Because of all the produce, I've been busy trying some new recipes.

When I was in Osseo briefly last week (a few hours), my mom gave me my Grandma's Refrigerator Pickles recipe card.  So far, I've received wonderful reviews of the pickles (Greta was the only one on the fence).  Once you see the recipe, you'll understand why they are so good.  Refrigerator pickles really remind of my Grandma Lundberg who is a WONDERFUL cook and is probably making muffins or jam as we speak.  She's pretty amazing. 

Here's a picture of the pickles taken in my Grandma's relish dish:


Refrigerator Pickles - Grandma Evelyn's Recipe Card



I wanted to take a picture with my Grandma's recipe card (it's so nice to see her writing).  My Grandma was the best speller ever.  She was always doing crossword puzzles and she watched Wheel of Fortune every night, but on this particular recipe she spelled pickles "pickels".  She must've been in a hurry the day she wrote it down.

Thinly slice 7 cups of cucumbers and add 1/2 cup of salt.  Let sit for 1 hour and drain juice.  Combine 1 cup of vinegar to 2 cups of sugar and add 2 tsp. of pickling seasoning.  The first time I just combined the vinegar and sugar, the second time I boiled the vinegar and the sugar and then the vinegar did not seperate from the sugar.  Refrigerate for 24 hours.  These are fantastic!!

I picked most of my jalapeno's from the garden on Monday, so I decided to try baked jalapeno poppers.  They were sooooo good, but Chad and I only had a few and our dog ate the rest.  Dang dog.


Baked Jalapeno Poppers


This picture was also taken on my Grandma Evelyn's platter.

Ronda Tworek inspired me to try Squash Blossom Soup.  Basically this is a soup made out of flowers.  I was hesitant, because it looked like a lot of work, but like Ronda says, "Life is too short to eat bad food".  Isn't that the truth?  The soup is GREAT.  It basically tastes like corn chowder. 


Ronda Tworek's Squash Blossom Soup


1 comment:

  1. OK First off. YOU MADE PIE?! How in the world do you have time. Second, I think next year I will buy you a mosquito net (and one for myself) so we can go picking. And last, so when you make the pickles, do you boil the vinegar & sugar with the pickles or boil it and then dump it in a jar with the pickles? I'm confused, but I REALLY want to make those.

    I'm so glad you like your tea pot. It really adds a nice touch of color to your photos.

    ReplyDelete