Pinterest

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Step One: Financial Planning

My New Year's Resolutions included getting serious about money management because I'm the lazy type who rarely balances my checkbook or keeps track of our money.   As a step in this process I started listening to Financial Peace University by Dave Ramsey which really has me fired up.   Up until this point I felt like as long as the bills were paid, we could buy new clothes on occasion and go on vacation once a year life was good but now I'm in the position to think it's not quite good enough.    It's going to take 3 months in order for me to fully embrace my new fiscally responsible lifestyle.  BUT, here's the steps I've taken in March to get me closer to my goals and I'm feeling stoked about the plan:

1.   COMPLETE A QUICK START BUDGET:  This is the WORST part but it's the most important step.  After you write down every expense for the month in black and white there's much less stress (at least for me) because you know exactly where you are sitting financially.   I first used a regular paper calendar but have recently converted my expenses to this form.   I discovered some surprises - for example we spent $1,000 in groceries for the month - I had no idea.  I'm hoping I can scale that back but I'll get to that part.

You can find this budgeting form here:  Quick Start Budget



2. DO SOME PLASTIC SURGERY - CUT THE CARDS:

I'm a TOTAL sucker for those credit card deals:  "if you sign up for our card you'll save 15% off today"  - in fact I have 5 department store cards.  Well, I did have 5 cards - ha!

3. SET UP A COLLEGE FUND:

I finally did it - I set up automatic withdrawals into a 529 educational fund for the kids.  While I REALLY regret not starting with Graham sooner, I know that Gus and Greta will be in great shape.  Did I tell you that Chad and I still have student loan debt?  The payments and interest rates are low but they won't be paid off until Graham graduates from high school - isn't that depressing?  That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid for my kids.

4.  AUTO BILL PAY:

Don't ask my why I've resisted this for so long, but I have set up my bills so that I can pay them all on-line or they are taken automatically from my account once a month.  I love how much easier it is for me to pay bills and I'm saving on stamps.

5.  BE A BETTER SHOPPER:

Just this week I discovered the best App from the App Store EVER suggested to me by my cousin Erinn.  It's called SnipSnap and in 3 days I spent $100 on groceries and a new outfit and saved $35 in a snap (hello, 35 percent!!).   This app. has every coupon imaginable from Subway to McDonald's to Target to Victoria's Secret.  If you need something, more than likely this app has a coupon for you.  All you do is hand over your phone and the cashier gives you the discount.  SO EXCITING!!

Recently I started shopping for some groceries at Aldi's too.  Forgive me for this - but I used to put my nose up at Aldi's thinking that I could only find some processed crap but guess what?  I ALWAYS find products we keep in our pantry and I can find certified organic produce for dirt cheap.    Love it!

I got this entire outfit at Kohl's this week for $20 thanks to SnipSnap



Obviously, I'm a little late to this game of financial planning but I guess better late than never.  I have a long ways to go but I'm already feeling so empowered about this recent mindful shift of our finances so I wanted to share.   What tips do you have? 

I better get back to dying Easter eggs. 

Time to dye the eggs


Have a great Easter!!

Kristin




4 comments:

  1. I just downloaded that app so maybe I'll score some good deals too. It sounds like you have a great plan in place to get your finances in order.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the important things I learned about financial planning is to never spend more than your monthly earnings. Simply put, your expenses must not exceed your income. This is why having an allotted budget for all the expenses is important. If you did not set a budget, you’ll surely get out of track, and at the end of the month, you’ll be left with nothing in your pocket. Don’t forget to save a certain percentage in your monthly income. #Brooke Claudio

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started the budget when I was 21 and could barely make my car payment. The bank helped me come up with an excel spreadsheet and I have used this ever since. I would be lost without it.

    ReplyDelete