Pinterest

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Embrace the Winter Season!

Oh I know, technically it's Spring and you are totally sick of the snow and cold but it's time to embrace what's in front of you and start loving the snow.   Once upon a time I too HATED everything to do with winter and I dreamt of moving to a warmer climate and the only thing that stopped me was the thought of not being close to my family.  Below you will discover how I learned to love our weather:

FIND AN ACTIVITY YOU LOVE:

Here's a list of the activities I LOVE:

  • Downhill and cross country skiing
  • Snowshoeing
  • Ice Skating
  • Sledding with the kids
  • Making snowmen
And here's other winter activities to consider:

  • Snowboarding
  • Ice hockey
  • Ice fishing
  • Snowmobiling
  • Dog sledding

Ice Skating!
**One tip - when you return home from an outdoor activity I can feel frozen to the bone.  I've found the best way to warm up is to take a HOT bath or turn on my heated mattress pad and jump into my warm bed with a book.   Works every single time.


Next:  BOOK A WINTER GET-AWAY

Even if you can't afford a luxurious warm vacation this year, even a stay at a motel close and affordable can be a great way to break up winter.  But, of course ideally having a warm place to dream about when it's 10 below and you are stuck inside is incredibly helpful for me.



Enjoying the Florida Sun - NICE!



ENJOY INDOOR ACTIVITIES GUILT FREE

In the summer you wouldn't catch me dead watching a movie, playing cards or reading a book inside.  But when it's bitter outside and dark at 5:30 p.m. you have no reason to feel guilty about curling up on the couch with a blanket and watching a movie and sometimes there's nothing better.  (BTW, I watched Perks of a Wallflower this weekend and LOVED it).

THINK OF THE ENVIRONMENT

When someone complains about all the snow and cold, I always say, "well think about how great this will be for our farmers," and I've never met anyone who could disagree with that statement.  In fact right after I blogged about my concern for reducing our carbon footprint, we had a blizzard and the snow stuck - how great is that?

IN SUMMARY

Sounds simple doesn't it? I know for my own life I needed to fully engage with winter or I'd end up spending 30% of my life not happy with Wisconsin and that's not a great way to live. What do you do to help you enjoy winter? 

Thanks for reading,

Kristin




No comments:

Post a Comment