Pinterest

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Family Meal Planning

MEAL PLANNING

Part of my 2013 New Years Resolutions included becoming more organized which means family meal planning again.   Last year, we were successful with planning meals all year but once I started cooking with only seasonally available ingredients we stopped planning.  So, this week we started up again and I forgot about how it simplifies my life.  Instead of grocery shopping every other day I can stop at the story every fourth day.  I don't know about you, but the more I stop at the store the more likely I am to purchase random crap.

Every person in the family is required to pick a meal for one day of the week.  "I don't know" is not an acceptable pick and if someone is having difficulty deciding on a meal we look through cookbooks for inspiration.

Since I've been getting home late one day a week because of my yoga class, I'm considering that day my crockpot challenge.  So far I've made pork chops and beef stroganoff  in the slow cooker which were both very well-received by the family.  I'm hoping to find some easy slow cooker recipes and I will continue with that at least until the end of the school year.

THIS WEEK'S PLAN

Sunday:  Chad's stuffed manicotti

Monday:  Gus' French toast and sausage

Tuesday:  Mom's spaghetti

Wednesday:  Greta's Olive Soup

Thursday:  Graham's Tacos

Friday:  Mom's Crockpot Challenge (tbd)

Saturday:  FFY (fend for yourself)

We've been color coding the meals on a dry erase board on our fridge (thanks Erinn Letts for the tip) and it's working out great! 

Greta displaying the PLAN for the week



THE FAVORITE RECIPE OF THE WEEK

This manicotti recipe is very popular with everyone and I stuff mine with the same ingredients only tofu instead of the meat and it's delicious!

Manicotti Stuffed Shells
Adapted from Rachel Ray


1 box frozen chopped spinach
1 box jumbo pasta shells
(you will have leftover shells but my kids also like plain pasta)
1 1/2 lb lean ground beef

2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed and halved

1 onion, finely chopped
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 egg, beaten

1/4 cup Italian style bread crumbs
olive oil
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
or mozza
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes

1 15oz can tomato sauce

salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 425 and defrost Frozen spinach in microwave or in colander with hot running water. Wring dry in paper towel. Set aside.


Boil water for shells and cook according to package directions (6-7 minutes). Drizzle with olive oil. Set aside.


Brown meat with chopped garlic and onions. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg and cook 5 minutes more.


Mix meat and spinach in a bowl. Add bread crumbs, egg and half the cheese.

Fill the shells with the meat mixture and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake for 11-12 minutes.


While the shells bake, heat halved garlic in one tbsp olive oil in small pot over low heat. Cook for 3-4 minutes, then remove garlic. Add red pepper flakes and cook one minute more. Stir in tomato sauce and let simmer until shells are done. Pour desired amount of sauce on top and serve.


I had the perfect weekend:  a massage, ice skating, a great ski with a friend, a Packer win, ice fishing, a good book by the fire, and a nap (in that order).  What did you do this weekend?

Do you do menu planning?

Thanks for reading,

Kristin

P.S. - In case you missed it, here's my video blog of the emotional freedom technique.  Something that has helped me live with less anxiety and stress:  tapping to release anxiety and stress.

2 comments:

  1. YEAH! So glad you are doing it. Getting started is the hardest partl. Do, do you mix the tofu in with the spinach too? Or how do you incorporate the tofu. Also, I have Betty Crockers best Crock Pot recipes cookbook. You are welcome to it since a lot of the recipes are meat based and won't work for more than half of this family. You are more creative with substitutes than I am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually I stir fry the seasoned tofu seperate - then mix with the spinach bread crumbs egg and cheese. Otherwise, I have mixed the tofu cold with the spinach, etc. but it's better stir fried in advance. It's really only one extra pan and it's really good! Something everyone likes!

      Delete