Pinterest

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Training for 50 Kilometers in 50 Days

MY BASIC WEEKLY PLAN

Let me start by saying that I am a citizen, casual skier with a goal of simply finishing the 50 kilometer ski challenge the American Birkebeiner..  I really have no expertise - this is just my personal plan for trying to finish the biggest challenge of my life.

My winter workout plan originally included SPIN class, strength class and skiing, but some changes at my local fitness center has lead me to plan B.  So, I'm following the basic plan below while adding in long slow distance each week.   Below you will find my training schedule for the week:

Monday:          Rest day
Tuesday:         1 hour ski after work around the lit loops
Wednesday:    1 1/2 half yoga class with sauna afterwards (score!)
Thursday:        Snowshoe practice (volunteering for Special Olympics) - aka rest
Friday:             Ski at Ski and Tea for 1 1/2 hour with technique work
Saturday:         Long Slow Distance Ski  **This distance will change each week, see below
Sunday:           Easy ski with the kids

So, I'll continue with this schedule with the distances varying for my long slow distance.  For me, the most important piece of this is gutting out the distance.

MY 50 DAY PLAN

My plan is to follow the schedule above only with varying distances listed below:

1/5 Ski from Bodecker to Mosquito Brook with Colleen - 15 kilometers
1/11 Ski from North End to Gravel Pit with Kristin Frietag - 25 kilometers
1/19 Ski the Birkie Tour from Hatchery to Telemark with my brother - 35 kilometers
1/26 Ski from Bodecker to Hatchery - 27 kilometers
2/1 Ski from North End to Mosquito Brook - 40 kilometers
2/8 Ski from North End to Hatchery - 45 kilometers

50K in 50 Days - map from Birkie Website



Will this schedule be difficult?  Not a doubt.  But is it possible?  Absolutely.


Out for a ski




Do you have a goal for 2013?

In case you missed it, here's my New Year's Resolutions:  Goals for 2013 - don't worry it's short.  Happy New Year!!!

Kristin

P.S. - if you are smart you would probably start training at the 90 day mark, not at the 50 mark but that's life, right?

P.S.S.  Here's my ski technique tips starting from head to toe:

Head:  Neutral position or looking up a hill
Shoulders:  rounded in (your core should look like the letter C) and relaxed.  Do not extend your arms too high or too far out or you will lose power and possibly hurt your shoulders
Arms:  Dominant arm should look like you are answering the phone, back arm right behind
Do not jam poles into the ground - ouch - this will hurt your shoulders
Pelvis:  Tilted up and in - again think C shape.  You should look like you are ready to hump not    dump.
Hips:  Keep level but use the hip flexors to get you up the hill.  Just like you are screwing the hill.
Butt:  Tucked in towards your belly button like you are humping not dumping.  This is key.
Knees:  Keep bent
Ankles:  Bend at the ankles to keep your whole body low to the ground
Feet:  Keep your feet level and fully add weight to each ski as you move back and forth.  As you move from foot to foot push down you are squashing a bug for power.

Going up the hill use V1, V2, V alternate, herring bone, and single stick or a combination of all (which I frequently use).


4 comments:

  1. Hi Kris, I like your blog. You had a post with skiing form pointers. I can't seem to find it now. Do have a book or video you recommend for improving skiing technique?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tracy,
      I've been taking lessons for close to 5 years and there's still so much I need to work on. I guess you can make it as technical or easy as you want. I added my technique tips back in. Initially I had it in there but thought it might be too long...anyway, if you look at the bottom of the blog it's there. I'm not aware of any books or videos - I'm just plugging away with lessons!
      Best of luck Tracy!!

      Delete
  2. It sounds like you've got a great plan in place. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Kris! I'd love to take lessons but that is one of the disadvantages of living in the middle of nowhere. I just love getting out in the fresh air and letting the dogs run.

    ReplyDelete