Pinterest

Friday, October 14, 2011

Sweet Potatoes In Season

Because of my LOVE for sweet potatoes (otherwise known as yams) I planted some this year and had marginal results.  They were a little small but still delicious.  Next year I am going to try to grow them in sandier soil (I think that's the ticket).  Sweet potatoes are so great because they taste like dessert but they are so healthy.  One sweet potato will provide all the vitamin A you need for the day and 1/2 the vitamin C.  Gotta' love that!!

This week I made a sweet potato dessert, appetizer and salad.   Life is short, so I'll start with dessert first.

Here's Sweet Potato and Apple Cobbler:  Sweet Potato and Apple Cobbler


Sweet Potato Apple Dessert


This was a GREAT way for me to use up the rest of my apples and it was a tasty treat.  We all loved it, except for my oldest who ate it but gave me the sweet potatoes.

Next I made this fantastic Sweet Potato and Quinoa Salad shared to me by Kathy Bergin.  Happy Birthday Kathy!

Kathy's Sweet Potato Quinoa Salad
3/4 cup quinoa
1 TBS. Olive oil
1 C diced onions
1/2 tsp salt
2 C diced, peeled sweet potatoes
1 2/3 C water
Our favorite elaboration
2 c lightly packed finely chopped fresh spinach
2 TBS toasted pine nuts (I used sunflower seeds)
1/4 C currants (Used craisins)
1 TBS minced scallions (I used red onion)
1 TBS lemon juice
Salt and pepper

1. Rinse and drain quinoa in a fine-meshed strainer.
2.  Warm oil in a covered saucepan.  Add the onions and salt - cook low
heat, stir now and then until onions are transparent about 8 min.  Add sweet
potatoes, water and drained quinoa, cover, bring to a simmer.    Lower the
heat and simmer for 15 to 20 min. until sweet potatoes are tender and the
liquid has been absorbed.  Remove from heat.  Stir well add salt and pepper.
3.  Just before removing from the heat stir in spinach, pine nuts, currants,
scallions, and lemon juice.  Let sit for 5 min.  Season to taste with salt
and pepper.
 Enjoy, Kathy


Kathys Sweet Potato Quinoa Salad



Dang, this woulda' been BEAUTIFUL if I wouldn't have forgotten the craisins at the store (I forgot my list) but it sure was delicious!!!!   This salad is displayed in my Grandma Johnson's dish.

Here's a copy of the list that I forgot.   On the top Chad added a few unnecessary comments (crossed out lol) and the kids added TOYS.  I thought it was cute!


Mom's Friday Grocery List



I'm guessing that you can make hummus out of almost any vegetable, but this one is especially good.  Soon I will blog on all my hummus recipes.  I'm a sucker for a good hummus recipe.
Here's the recipe:  Sweet Potato Hummus


Greta and I LOVED this hummus recipe


One recipe that I make ALL year is sweet potato chips.  I cut the sweet potatoes super thin, drizzle with olive oil and salt and bake them at 350 for one hour.  Greta and I usually are fighting over the last one, they are that good.  \

Sweet Potato Chips


Sweet potatoes are on the Dirty Dozen list, meaning it's one of those foods you'd be wise to eat organic unless you like a mouth full of chemicals.  I buy about 50% organic, but I always keep the dirty dozen list on hand while shopping.  When I did eliminate the dirty dozen from my diet, I can tell you that I felt better and lost weight.   Certain pesticides in foods have been proven to raise our estrogen levels making us hungry.  I'm hungry enough so reason enough for me to give up the dirty dozen!

I can't wait to share my next pumpkin blog.  I made something pretty cool and I can't wait to share.

Thanks for reading!

Kristin

1 comment:

  1. I need to try that quinoa recipe and you need a grocery list app for your phone. I use ShopListFree right now, but I think I'm going to use either Cozi or HomeLife from now on because you can also do your family calendar from there and then send events to another family member via text or email.

    ReplyDelete